Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Identify this safe

Hi,

recently I became in possession of this safe, its a Bramah lock with four combination dials. I have done some work on it: cleaning, painting, making keys ect... On the inside of the lever lock i found an inscription 'AV PARIS 38'.
    Anyone familiar with this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto 8.jpg   Foto 9.jpg   Foto 7.jpg   Foto 2.jpg   Foto 4.jpg  

Foto 5.jpg   Foto 3.jpg   Foto 1.jpg   Foto\'s-0192.jpg   Foto 11.jpg  

Default Re: Identify this safe

Hi Hans,

I see you have a very beautiful safe there. Did you ever think about selling it? Please let me know if you're intrested!

Kind regards

Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper
    Hi Hans,

I see you have a very beautiful safe there. Did you ever think about selling it? Please let me know if you're intrested!

Kind regards

Roger.

Hi Roger,

I have no plans for selling this safe, but I'm glad that you like it so much. I want to know more about this type of safe and I hope someone can give me more information about it. By the way, I'm from Belgium. Where are you from?

Greetings,

Hans.

Beautiful restoration job you've done there Hans. I used to own something similar - the maker was ' Petit Jean ' (Little John ??) made in Paris.

I am puzzled by that plate on the inside of the door, it seems very crude for a makers plate being stamped out with letter stamps - I am thinking it could be the name of the supplier (shop / retailer) or perhaps the owner ???

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock
    Beautiful restoration job you've done there Hans. I used to own something similar - the maker was ' Petit Jean ' (Little John ??) made in Paris.

I am puzzled by that plate on the inside of the door, it seems very crude for a makers plate being stamped out with letter stamps - I am thinking it could be the name of the supplier (shop / retailer) or perhaps the owner ???
    Thanks for your reaction Old Lock.

Your right, 'Camiel Bello' is probably the name of an earlier owner. 'Gent' is a very nice and important city in Belgium and 'Groendreef 108' is the address. I asked for information by sending an e-mail to the municipality but still got no answer. Maybe I should visit the address en ask there, but I assume that the person could died a long time ago. If I get more information about it I'll let you know.

Greetings,

Hans.

ps. I learned a lot already, just by reading comments on this site. Very interesting!

Although the key mechanism is similar to a Bramah, it is not likely to be made by them.

I got some interesting information...

Bello Camillus Augustinus was born on 8 january 1859. He was a locksmith from 1884 until 1920. He married on 28 april 1881 with Van Damme Maria Theresia (born on 12 december 1859) . He lived at 'Groendreef 108, Gent' between 3 june 1888 until 7 november 1900. He lived his hole life in Gent on different locations. He and his wife had also a little chicken factory. He died at home on 23 january 1942 around 3 am during WWII. His wife died also in Gent on 10 may 1952.

His Father Bello Antonius (a mechanician) was born in Gent on 5 february 1809 and died in Gent on 27 april 1897.

I got this detailed information from the city Gent.

Just wanted to share this with you guys...

Greetings,

Hans.

Thats interesting, although I doubt he actually made the safe, more likely he was the retailer / supplier and placed his own name upon the safe when it was sold ?

This is a very long shot.... is it possible that your safe and the safe in this link are connected?
    http://www.antique-luxury-safes.com/en/safes/lsc-2006117-antique-belgium-safe/
    Quote: This beautiful wonder was made by Mathijs Declerck in Brussels in 1870.

Thread Information