Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Candado 3
    Yes is it 1001DA for six pins The first time was thinking as five pins by using five pins key blank but found out the first one was a no cut "0" with five cut 9-0-9-0-9. Need to feel your pins by using the pick tool to be sure using six pins key blank.
    This is the Corbin Cabinet Lock (now CCL Security Products) "BR" keyway, not to be confused with the similarly lettered "BR" keyway (Ilco 1001GB) used by its former sister company P & F Corbin (now Corbin Russwin). The three iterations of the CCL "BR" section were:
    • 4-pin 4192C-BR (1001DB Old Ilco)
    • 5-pin 4193C-BR (1001D Ilco)
    • 6-pin S4195C-BR (1001DA Ilco)

Only the 5-pin blank is still available in an OEM version from CCL Security Products.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    HUW
    They do have them in Corbin cylinder lock, Russwin lock also have it. Don't know of any other lock manufactured use it ..Timothy.....
    Some mogul cylinders for prison locks also use them.

Default Corbin "SP" CO. Padlock....

Here Picture of the Corbin Padlock with ball bearig. I also took picture of Russwin pins. Yes this as five ball bearing....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corbin Ball Bearing Padlock 1.jpg   Corbin Ball Bearing Padlock 2.jpg   Russwin Ball Bearing Pins a.jpg  

Here another information only the size of ball bearing: 1902-1960's .116" ballbearings were inserted to reduce wear until harder brass was available for keyblanks. All five chambers of Corbin and Russwin used to contain ball bearingsuntil 'lock combing' became an issue. Ball bearings wear gradually reduceduntil only the first two chambers contained them. The older the lock, the morethe bearings....Timothy......

Gents, this is interesting stuff indeed, the use of the term 'ball bearings' has got me extremely curious.
    Were they actually ball bearings, as in extremely hard, case-hardened balls intended for bearing races, or were they just steel balls made for the purpose? A simple 'file test' would obviously be a very quick way to reveal what's what.

Good question that what I try to find out. I have no answer of what they call for the lock but I'm sure everyone know it ball bearing or steel ball, Just maybe someone may come up with answer...Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Gents, this is interesting stuff indeed, the use of the term 'ball bearings' has got me extremely curious.
    Were they actually ball bearings, as in extremely hard, case-hardened balls intended for bearing races, or were they just steel balls made for the purpose? A simple 'file test' would obviously be a very quick way to reveal what's what.
    I'm guessing that they were likely chrome finished hardened alloy steel which would be typical for bearing balls. Note that Corbin Russwin now offers P/N 159F36-7 .116" stainless steel balls "if you have a problem with pin wear in high traffic cylinders". Caveat from their Cylinder Manual: Do not use a ball in every chamber. This creates a security risk because a bypass tool called a "lock comb" can be used to raise all balls to the shear line and operate the cylinder. I found their P/N 159F36-7 "ball bearing for wear resistance" in the Corbin Russwin Parts Price List #30, 9/1/17 @ $.40 ea. list, sold in multiples of 100 pieces.

Pete Schifferli

Timothy,i just took apart a corbin ptpk (like 805 yale). First one i found with a master wafer and 2 ball bearings.
    I know ball bearings are used in corbin/russwin s and a lot of kwickset and others on construction sites,
    this is the first ball bearing i found in a pushkey. Found lot of eagle's and yales mastered but none with ball bearings.
    this one also had a broken key and is pretty much gone as a lock,only good for parts for others i have.

PG&E uses a similar bitting on their padlocks.

Thread Information