Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb Mosler Taylor- New to all this ...From BC Canada

I'm a 52 year old woodworker that lives on BC's Sunshine Coast.

I like old machinery and tools ,
    and I guess I've always had a sort of interest in safes and locks.

The other day I had a chance to buy 2 old Chubb safes from a long gone bank. These safes were too big and way inside the main vault for anyone to move over the years. So they just sat doing nothing.

They were both locked but with the doors open.

Well, I decided to buy them and move them. I now have them both in my wood shop and have decided to keep one and maybe sell one.

I've taken the backs of the locks off and found they are all set to a few simple numbers so when I get a change key I'll be in business...I think.

Your site look like a great site and I have questions and things to learn,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA040034.JPG  

Welcome Steve, interesting safes you've got there, it always amazes me the number of variants Chubb produced for overseas markets and those in collaboration with other makers like your Mosler Taylor.

The one on the left has distinctive hinges and unusual to see three combination locks on what looks quite a small sized safe, all interesting stuff!

Default Yes, I can't actually find either on the web.

The small one seems to be all solid steel and had 3 locking drawers I unbolted and removed.
    Now I've lined it in foam for my rifle to stay safe.

It's in great shape with the exception of the center hand dial which is cracked a bit so I'll need a replacement. Seems to be a push on/off unit as I used a puller and it seemed to slide on a shaft. There's a small cover over the center of the steel that unscrews showing a shaft.

I was wondering if someone tried to smash into safe and damaged the 3 wheels, how would I get back into it?

The big safe seems to be missing a pull handle on the bottom left. I hope to find one, But there is also another hole just to the right of the 2 handle holes and it looks like a newer hole to me. I only goes in about 1/2 and inch though and is not near anything important as far as I can tell.

Here's the 2 serial #'s on these safes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA020019.JPG   PA040036.JPG   PA040031.JPG   PA010006.JPG  

Thread Information