Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Information required on Bramah lock please

I am restoring a antique leather bound writing slope which can be carried like a briefcase. It has a Bramah lock which acts like a two piece latch and key lock. The top or outer half which is positioned on the opening flap is broken, and there is no key. It has an small I then BRAMAH then small S with patent underneath.and a crown above On the barrel side of the lock which is situated on the main body of the case , the words:::: s MORDAN &co on the left,,,,,,,LONDON ,,on the top ctr,,,,,W.RUSSELS SECURITY ,,,on the right hand side.........any information would be better than none at all,,,,,,Please help,,,....
    Martin

What an interesting set of marks :?

First as to repairs and a key - contact David Evans c/o Mostly Boxes, Eton.

The marks are strange, I Bramah suggests very early bramah. Mordan & Co suggests the lock was made by Mordan. W. Russell was originally a Bramah employee who invented the false notches.

So what I think you have is a clone lock, with spurious markings. This happened a lot when the original makers stopped using the marks themselves. What is the overall quality of the lock like ? Do you have any pictures ?

Paul

Default More info on BRAMAH LOCK + photo's

Paul, here are a few photo's that may help you identfy this lock. As you say it may be a clone or copy,, but as it is on an antique which is supposed to be over 90yrs old I thought it may be an early one ,,it could of course been replaced or not an antique after all. It would be nice to inform the owner of the case what it is!!
    Thanks for your time ,
    Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BRAMAH LOCK 010 E MAIL.jpg  

Default one more photo

top lock photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BRAMAH LOCK 001 NAME E MAIL.jpg  

I think it's going to be a late clone, probably not before 1900.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thread Information