Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have looked at many pictures trying to find this particular "safe ? lock box ?" and not finding it any where. Back to the basic questions of, Age? Weight? How to figure out the combos (or changing thereof) of the 2 open doors?
    Is there a way to count the holes on the dials to accomplish this? Last resort is to drill a 1/2 in hole in the back plate to line up the detentes. If I could just change the combos would be best. The nearest locksmith that would have knowledge of these locks is about 3 hours away from my location , not a very good return for the money to have him come in.

Was there a manual that came with these locks so the owners could change them or was that a locksmith only function?

There was an old book HPC safe and vault manual that had tryout combinations that may have been for this type of lock, but best way I can see to do it is to fit the wheelpack, dial the combination to a single number and then remove the pack without disturbing it and see where the gates are in relation to the flipper fence until you narrow down the correct numbers.

Vaguely recalled seeing something like that somewhere, thought it might have been in the old American Safe Man's Guides, but have just found volume 2 and although theres some weird old HHM's in there, theres nothing like that. Will look out for volume 1 as its around here somewhere.

Funny when Gary mentioned the HPC manual that sounded familiar as well, but mine is this 1981 version, unfortunetely of no help here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	724.8 KB 
ID:	18669

As Huw stated, that safe is a locker and its highly unlikely you will find a picture of it. Typically used inside a bank vault or possibly a safe for daytime use. Early 1900's and if you look at the backside of the wheels you should find numbers for each hole. Note the wheels are on the back cover of the lock which is screwed on with 2 screws. With the cover off the lock opens correct? Too much information?

Yes, the wheels are located on the back cover and when off the lock will open.There is never TMI when I am trying to learn about something.

Did not want to remove wheels until I had some guidance. There is a spring ring holding the wheels and I will mark them with a sharpie and take 1 wheel off at a time. Would be great if there are numbers on the back of them.There is a scribe mark on the inside of the cover showing where the wheels line up. Hopefully it will help me figure the combo out.
    So looking at the small screws on the wheels, i assume that it where a pin goes through the holes to be able to change the combination? I will do a search for the book Huw mentioned
    As far as trying to open the bottom lock I will probably measure the locations of the screws holding the dog leg on the small door above it and drill. My brother in law has a welding shop so no problem.

I would tell your brother in law exactly what I said. Maybe a light bulb will go off.

Wanted to let everyone know that I have found the combos to the top doors that were open. 1 is a 3 number combo and the other is a 1 number combo that I figure is factory. That leaves me 79 tries to open the bottom with 1 number before other measures. Special thanks to Chubby and Doug for their thoughts. I will now start a new thread on a vault that is sure to pick the interest of many. Look for Mosler vault circa 1906?

Thread Information