Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Herring Hall Marvin 3 door safe

I have a 3 door Herring Hall and Marvin safe. The top 2 doors are open and can remove back plate showing tumbler. I cannot figure the combinations out and it does look like they are changeable. I could drill a hole in the back plate of the lock to figure it out but would prefer not to. As you can see the safe doors are numbered from top to bottom 419-420-421. Also stamped just above the dial are the numbers 1132-1133-1134. The bolts on the two locks are numbered 315-top door and 307-middle door.The bottom door is locked, any solution as to opening it? The doors are removable when open. I would also like to figure the weight , I will have to have it moved as I cannot seem to budge it. It is setting on top of a Maximum safe that is in the neighborhood of 1000 to 1300 lbs. I think the age is somewhere in the late 1800's but sure that someone here would have more knowledge than I. I do plan on using it as it does seem secure.
    Measurements are 34 3/4 in H x 17 3/4 in W x 23 3/4 in D Top door is 19 7/8 in tall 2 bottom doors are 6 7/8 in tall
    Locks are brass. Thickness of doors are 1/2 in steel Thickness of sides are 3/8 in and looks to be 2 pieces sandwiched to 1/2 in. Top and bottom thickness is 1/4 in.
    I am trying to put as much information as I can. There are NO patent numbers that I can find and have listed above the only numbers that I can find.
    Also, It looks as to have had keyed day locks? that the internals have been removed.
    I hope my pics come out OK. I could get not a good pic of dial but it does say Herring Hall Marvin Safe Co,Hamilton Ohio.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3.JPG   IMG_4.JPG   IMG_5.JPG   IMG_6.JPG   IMG_7.JPG  

IMG_8.JPG   IMG_9.JPG   IMG_13.JPG   IMG_12.JPG  

I am unsure from the pictures how the hinge side of the door is constructed. Are there really external hinges with no dog bolts> If so, I know how I would open it. I also know how I would greatly improve the security with a little welding.

OP I'd be careful what you use it for, think of it more as a 'heavy locker'.
    It looks the sort of inner unit intended for fixing inside a proper free standing safe, to offer daytime security on the inner compartments. Often different staff would have access to different doors and each be responsible for the contents of their own compartment. It would then all be protected by the main outer safe when locked up at closing time.

There are modern variations still made today, lots of businesses like post office etc used similar.

I will take a couple more pics later of the inside door construction. You could cut the hinges off but the flap inside fits into the body of the "strong box" would keep it from being pried. I actually have this sitting inside of a Mosler bank vault. That box is setting on top of a Maximum TL/15-TL/30. My building used to be a Bank of America at one time. I am out of town right now so will be tomorrow for replies.

So it does have a dog bolt. I couldn't see from your photos. That's a good thing.

Here are some more pics. Looking down the edge, Showing the screws it is attached with, the channel it fits into and the hinge showing the tightness of the door when closed. The dog bolt is made from brass. I know i posted pics from the lock and realize I should start a new thread in locks forum? I also took more of those.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_Dog bolt attached.JPG   IMG_dog bolt channel.JPG   IMG_Dog bolt edge.JPG   IMG_Dog bolt looking down.JPG   IMG_hinge showing tightness of door closed.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyO2 View Post
    I know i posted pics from the lock and realize I should start a new thread in locks forum? I also took more of those.
    There is no need to post again in the locks forum, it is fine here under safes and is likely to get far more views here anyway.

Thanks Huw. When I get down to my building later I will post the pics of the lock. I will need help to figure out the combinations of the two locks that are open and how I can open the closed door. I had been using it and accidentally turned the dial to far and it locked.
    I also have a bank vault downstairs that I will show later. Probably early 1900's. I do have the combination for it.

With that good sized round hole in the door, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here are pics of the locking mechanism.
    Chubby,I sent pics of the relationship of the hole (hole is a from removed day lock). Can you expand on not be much of a problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3789.JPG   IMG_3791.JPG   IMG_3793.JPG   IMG_Inside of lock.JPG   IMG_Number 3 on plate.JPG  

IMG_Number 3 on tumbler plate.JPG   IMG_5.JPG   IMG_6.JPG  

Thread Information