Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Bill was also responsible for the AVA patent when Chubb bought the company, the small AVA padlock gradualy replaced the anti-pressure padlock for diplomatic mail bags.

Regarding the Aubin trophy WHS was also a keen photographer and took a series of pictures of the individual locks, both assembled and disassembled, as he worked on it. This picture shows one of the tiers.

Attachment 23753

These pictures are in the Heritage Rooms Archive. We also have the WHS dairys and much other material and would be a good project for a HoLRSG focus Group.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHS Aubin 2_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	23754 Bill Stanton with Trophy.

Default Aubin Trophy

I understood Tommy Watson had a hand in the restoration after Hobbs Hart 'joined' the Chubb Group, presumably not the only person involved. Wish I had talked to Tommy back then, but then I was a green newcomer amongst the experienced pro's meeting in John Oldcorn's shop. Not many of those forty-odd enthusiasts are still around now.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    I understood Tommy Watson had a hand in the restoration after Hobbs Hart 'joined' the Chubb Group, presumably not the only person involved. Wish I had talked to Tommy back then, but then I was a green newcomer amongst the experienced pro's meeting in John Oldcorn's shop. Not many of those forty-odd enthusiasts are still around now.
    Can't vouch for my memory anymore but I seem to remember that Tommy told me that he had restored the Parautoptic Lock for the Science Museum. In fact I 'almost' remember seeing it written on the card in the display cabinet as well.

It was 'John Holden' Richard. I attended 1 or 2 meetings back in the day (it was a long way from Bournemouth) - there is at least one attendee left who now runs the MLA Heritage Rooms! Tommy restored the lock and made a new key for the Science Museum's Para. Ive not seen anything on him being involved with the Aubin Trophy. I'm thinking maybe we (HoLRSG) should take the Aubin apart and service it.

Default Indepenent Lock Collectors Association

It was 'John Holden' Richard.
    You're right! I wasn't quite sure i had the name right; John Oldcorn was somebody else, I met in another life long ago. No doubt others will remember John Holden's gatherings, and his collections (model soldiers as well as locks).

I used to go to those. What happended to his collection ?

Afaik, all or most was bought by another collector.

I'm thinking maybe we (HoLRSG) should take the Aubin apart and service it.
    What an honour that would be for those involved in a project so prestigious!

It's certainly got me speculating the amount of use the Aubin has potentially had, and the levels of wear that its internals might show.

Presumably it has rarely sees hands-on use so hopefully disassembly, cleaning, re-lubrication and reassembly would be enough.

If however it has had heavy use before and since its last attention, it could need more than simple servicing in that bearings, gears, drill pins or pivots etc could be worn.
    Such discovery would then present difficult decisions once it's disassembled and the extent of wear revealed.

Thread Information