Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It has just occurred to me to ask, are any of them anchored in?

Good point chubby... im not sure as i havent tried to move them yet.

[QUOTE=stevenkuk;27702]Wow, thank you everyone for your help.

Gary: Thanks for giving me the heads up! That cabinet is huge... I think that will be the most difficult one to remove and now i know that it may have asbestos makes it even more difficult.

Remington Rand - Giving this some thought I would be very surprised if asbestos had been used as insulation. Much more likely to be Gypsum (plaster of Paris) filled door and body cast over a chicken wire mesh to give the whole structure strength and rigidity to minimise the chance of bursting open in a building collapse.

There might be a little asbestos in any tape used to help seal the door rebates.

Lastly, I would estimate the weight to be in the region of 650 kgs.

I was warned by some American openers definitely in the body fill, not just the sealing tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I was warned by some American openers definitely in the body fill, not just the sealing tape.
    Thank you Gary, that is not generally known.

However, as far as stevenkuk's original enquiry is concerned regarding the disposal of these units, there should be no problems regarding the Remington Rand cabinet.

The Health & Safety Executive advises - "as long as the asbestos is in good condition and is located somewhere where it cannot be easily damaged, then it shouldn't be a risk to you".

Understood, it was just a warning for him to be a bit careful with this one as it will be quite an old unit and we will all have come across the older fireproof stuff with leaking or breaking down barriers / fills and always better safe than sorry with this stuff 8-)

It is usually simple to see if a safe is anchored. Just look for threaded bar in the base with big nuts attached. If they are there, simply remove the nuts. It would be worth getting some WD40 on those now, so it can be soaking in.

Of course there are ways of base anchoring which do not show nuts. In the very unlikely event that that has happened you are in trouble!

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

There's three types typically used to look out for; hexagon head bolts, hexagon nuts on studs, or cap heads (Allen bolts), any of which are easily seen recessed down in the base. Unlikely to be anything else.

Unless there are fixing lugs cemented into the floor. Then you have problems!

Thanks guys... just wondering how much the cash safes are worth as i have a locksmith who is interested in some of them.

Also we've found 3 more safes, taking a total up to 11!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21950998_10159306288240065_3707902223782925725_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	18605

Thread Information