Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

3 more fire resisting cabinets there.

Safes are worth what anybody is willing to pay for them. That is usually disappointingly little.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    3 more fire resisting cabinets there.

Safes are worth what anybody is willing to pay for them. That is usually disappointingly little.
    Or to put it another way, if you get them to ground floor level access, you will probably still have to pay to get them all taken away.
    if you don't get them there, then it will probably cost you very significant money to have them removed!

I think the clue to value is the fact that the previous occupier of the building left them all.

One of my hobbies is playing the piano. On the piano forum I should think every week we get somebody who has bought a house and found an old piano therein. It is always an "antique" and a "beautiful piece of furniture" etc. Of course the question then is "how much is it worth?" They are usually saddened to hear that it will actually cost them money to get it hauled off to a landfill somewhere!

The trouble with such wonderful safes as that Ratner is that there just isn't much cash circulating these days. So many purchases are made by plastic card. So whereas in the old days there were plenty of independent retailers, such as petrol stations or bookies, who handled a lot of cash, nowadays they just aren't there. Even in retailing of other items most stores are branches of large corporations and they buy new.

I think the clue to value is the fact that the previous occupier of the building left them all.

The trouble with such wonderful safes as that Ratner is that there just isn't much cash circulating these days. So many purchases are made by plastic card. So whereas in the old days there were plenty of independent retailers, such as petrol stations or bookies, who handled a lot of cash, nowadays they just aren't there. Even in retailing of other items most stores are branches of large corporations and they buy new.
    You're so right Chubby, in the 'old days' the Truck Acts decreed that a workman be paid in 'coin' and it wasn't until around the 1960's that they could be paid by cheque etc. No more huge payrolls. Beginning of the end for the safe industry, apart from pawnbrokers, jewellers, and banks.

As for the quality of safes that insurers would accept, in the immediate post-war years when new quality safes were in short supply, the gelignite and torchers activities meant that insurance losses exceeded premiums and trade really began to thrive. Alas, no more.

I haven't, really, had any contact with UK for the better part of 20 years.

Do supermarkets still offer "cash back" with purchases? That gets them cleared funds in their account immediately and, of course, reduces their cash holding.

I don't suppose that there is the demand there used to be for night sfae facilities either.

Where in the UK are you?
    If the safes are being scrapped, I'll happily "recycle" the locks. Into my collection.

I haven't, really, had any contact with UK for the better part of 20 years.

Do supermarkets still offer "cash back" with purchases? That gets them cleared funds in their account immediately and, of course, reduces their cash holding.

I don't suppose that there is the demand there used to be for night sfae facilities either.

Not unlike yourself Chubby I am finding myself out of touch in the field of cash handling. Banks, supermarkets, and department stores don't seem to have the same need of physical protection as I remember and now appear to be adopting 'cash management' systems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intellegent safes..JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	18653 Gunnebo appear to be in the forefront as might be expected.

A friend of mine, now passed on sadly, worked in the security department of one of the Scottish Banks and told me that somewhere in Head Office there is a letter written by him in the 1970's on the subject of ATMs in which he wrote "they will never catch on"!

What, I wonder, would he have prophetised of Cash Management.

Thread Information