Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh by the way, forgot to mention some of these safes are actually in a strongroom! Any ideas how these are dismantled/ removed?!? Or is it a case of not bothering

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkuk View Post
    Oh by the way, forgot to mention some of these safes are actually in a strongroom! Any ideas how these are dismantled/ removed?!? Or is it a case of not bothering
    I think you now realise the problems.
    Not one, but three that are 1.5 tonnes each, designed and effective at resisting attack but without modern insurance rating certificates, and on the second floor, along with a load of asbestos safes.
    if they were on the ground floor in a loading bay, they would cost you a lot of money to have removed.
    i would recommend that now you know the weights, your builders should be consulted and see what they say.

The other contributors to this thread dwarf the knowledge that I have, but I suggest you post images of the strongroom for them.

There are "portable" strongrooms made of modular parts that can be dismantled and moved, however many(most?) strongrooms will be part of the building & not worth removing.

I have seen people sell a strongroom door & frame before, but the costs of removing and transporting them will usually outweigh their value.

If you leave the strong room intact but do not intend to use it as a strongroom, then consider having the door disabled and made safe (to prevent accidental lock ins) by a suitably qualified safe technician. This should not be a destructive process & as long as you retain any parts that are removed, the door could be returned to service at a later date if required.

Understood, it was just a warning for him to be a bit careful with this one as it will be quite an old unit and we will all have come across the older fireproof stuff with leaking or breaking down barriers / fills and always better safe than sorry with this stuff 8-)

Thread Information