Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Corbin 6 Lever Padlock ID Help

Found a neat lock in a church field while metal detecting and was hoping someone somewhere knew what I had my hands on. Light research has come up with something between 1880's and 1920's and a "shackle lock." It has "H95" stamped on the top. It measures 3' tall by 2" wide and 1/2" wide. Can anyone narrow the date range and/or provide some period context and usage. Please and thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corbin Lock 1.JPG   Corbin Lock 2.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Op3crimsin View Post
    Found a neat lock in a church field while metal detecting and was hoping someone somewhere knew what I had my hands on. Light research has come up with something between 1880's and 1920's and a "shackle lock." It has "H95" stamped on the top. It measures 3' tall by 2" wide and 1/2" wide. Can anyone narrow the date range and/or provide some period context and usage. Please and thank you.
    I can tell you that most all Corbin (and Russwin) padlocks from the era were made by Corbin Cabinet Lock Co., not their sister company P & F Corbin. It does not appear in Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. Catalog No. 38, dated 1928. The logo suggests it likely was produced from 1900-1919, see thumbnail of Historical Research Series #19 from Lock Museum of America attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HistoricalResearchSeries#19trademarkDesigns.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I can tell you that most all Corbin (and Russwin) padlocks from the era were made by Corbin Cabinet Lock Co., not their sister company P & F Corbin. It does not appear in Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. Catalog No. 38, dated 1928. The logo suggests it likely was produced from 1900-1919, see thumbnail of Historical Research Series #19 from Lock Museum of America attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Thank you for the insight! Are there any other catalogs that might have it? Oh, and I cleaned it up a bit ;). I hope I didn't commit some cardinal sin here o.O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3493.jpg   IMG_3494.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Op3crimsin View Post
    Thank you for the insight! Are there any other catalogs that might have it? Oh, and I cleaned it up a bit ;). I hope I didn't commit some cardinal sin here o.O
    Richard Chenovick (eMail: rchenovickATjuno.com change AT to @) of The West Coast Lock Collectors Assn. has assumed distribution of the old "KCI Catalog Reprints" originally produced by the late Don Stewart of Key Collectors International. Other then the one I cited, I don't have any of the others so I can't say if your padlock might be included. These were done about thirty years ago and the image quality is not as good as might be expected today although they are legible. A pdf version of the reprint catalog listing as well as other lock and key collector books which Mr. Chenovick sells can be found here:
    http://www.wclca.net/documents/don_stewart_books.pdf

Pete Schifferli

page 69 of catalog1912 kci or wclca as Pete referred to shows a padlock 2992 ,brass plated,japanned,i did not see a solid brass model yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    page 69 of catalog1912 kci or wclca as Pete referred to shows a padlock 2992 ,brass plated,japanned,i did not see a solid brass model yet.
    The 1928 edition referenced earlier shows No. 02992 on pg. 35 all brass, plain finish. See pdf attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

thank you,i found a later 1934 catalog with a all steel model with the lantern pattern ,with round shackle,but steel. Ihaven't found the solid brass 6 lever with lantern yet. I have the 1906 catalog ,Only has key blanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1001171436_Film4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	18631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1001171436a_Film4.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	18632 I never could rotate these picture?
    still have to make a key for lock on right,the first pic,the lock had a key bent over inside and it broke the top lever at the very bottom
    Will look some more for the padlock info
    thank you

Pete,Richard is using rchenovick@cox.net now and phasing out the Juno email. wclca has a lot of catalogs for collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    Pete,Richard is using rchenovick@cox.net now and phasing out the Juno email. wclca has a lot of catalogs for collectors.
    Noted, thank you Nathan.

Pete

Thread Information