Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hello from the Flower City

Hello everyone! I am also new to this forum... I just wrote a whole bunch but accidentally deleted everything so I'm going to keep this brief.

Long story short I have a 1925 house. Front door is original with possibly an original mortise lock. I took it out of the door the other night because its in rough shape and I wanted to see if a modern mortise would work or if I would have to make the opening bigger. I put it back in and yesterday I go to take it out so I can put my new hardware in but now the deadbolt will not disengage. It is locked shut and I have done everything that I can think of to open the door.

One thing I noticed though was that where the spindle for the thumb turn goes into the deadbolt mechanism is loose and basically floating in the opening.. it is not attached to anything and flops around. I'm assuming this is where my problem is.

Does anyone have any idea how to disengage that deadbolt with out tearing the door apart??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170918_181601.jpg  

Default update

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Hello everyone! I am also new to this forum... I just wrote a whole bunch but accidentally deleted everything so I'm going to keep this brief.

Long story short I have a 1925 house. Front door is original with possibly an original mortise lock. I took it out of the door the other night because its in rough shape and I wanted to see if a modern mortise would work or if I would have to make the opening bigger. I put it back in and yesterday I go to take it out so I can put my new hardware in but now the deadbolt will not disengage. It is locked shut and I have done everything that I can think of to open the door.

One thing I noticed though was that where the spindle for the thumb turn goes into the deadbolt mechanism is loose and basically floating in the opening.. it is not attached to anything and flops around. I'm assuming this is where my problem is.

Does anyone have any idea how to disengage that deadbolt with out tearing the door apart??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    PS. it is a Russwin mortise lock

Thread Information