Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Small Wehrle Antique Safe

I was wondering if someone can help me identify this safe, the combination sequence, and possibly the meaning of the cool painting.

The specs are as follows:

Height (with wheels) = 25.125 IN
    Height (no wheels) = 19.5 IN
    Width = 15.5 IN
    Depth = 17.5 IN

Thank you so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1667_Small.jpg   IMG_1661_Small.jpg   IMG_1660_Small.jpg   IMG_1659_Small.jpg  

Default Wehrle

I was wondering if someone can help me identify this safe.

That's just it, Wehrle was the mfg. They were a large stove foundry that also mfg. cast iron safes. A lot of info on the internet. I think they have some connection to Vulcan but I can't seem to find it?

The murals must have been mass produced? I've seen identical ones on different Wehrle safes.

The comb lock is of the direct entry design. With 2 wheels and a driver it dials;

3 times to 1st#
    2 times to 2nd#
    1 time to 3rd#

Can start left or right.

DH

Default Direct Entry Design

Thank you David for the reply.

I searched the meaning of "direct entry" on this forum and came to the conclusion that, unlike a gravity fence, turning the handle forces the fence against the tumblers. I verified this on my Wehrle safe by turning the handle and causing resistance in the dial.

From your reply, it looks like there are 3 numbers in the combination. I thought a 3 number combination meant 3 wheels (or tumblers)? You stated there are two wheels and a driver. Does this mean that the driver is actually one of the tumblers as well?

Looking to crack this safe, but understand that this forum is not for manipulation instruction.... but I am still going to give it my best shot.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Information