Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Default Chubb Ava Push-in Locks

Not seen very often, these nice little Ava push-in locks were presumably intended primarily as furniture locks for sliding glass display cabinets and such like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	18525

They have the earlier Nickel Silver keys marked Made in Finland.

Views:	23 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	18526

Strange as it seems we never encountered any on cabinets or displays (perhaps down to Abloy always getting in first), but saw them on sliding Aluminium patio doors instead!
    One of the big double glazing manufacturers used them as an internal secondary lock fitted centrally into the overlapping door style, and with pretty good effect. In 1985 I think the RRP on one of these was the equivalent of a good Saturday night out!

Similar type of nickel silver keys to this 1K61 padlock marked as a nine disc mechanism, and also made in Finland.

Views:	16 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	18529

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Not seen very often, these nice little Ava push-in locks were presumably intended primarily as furniture locks for sliding glass display cabinets and such like.

Views:	22 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	18525

They have the earlier Nickel Silver keys marked Made in Finland.

Views:	23 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	18526

Strange as it seems we never encountered any on cabinets or displays (perhaps down to Abloy always getting in first), but saw them on sliding Aluminium patio doors instead!
    One of the big double glazing manufacturers used them as an internal secondary lock fitted centrally into the overlapping door style, and with pretty good effect. In 1985 I think the RRP on one of these was the equivalent of a good Saturday night out!
    Everest doors that was...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Everest doors that was...
    It was indeed Tom, around the same time as their offset Chubb 3K74s & 114s on their hinged Aluminium doors with the extended keys..

Just realised my mistake there, the hinged aluminium doors with the 3G114s and 3K74s was their competitor Anglian.

Probably the price discouraged most customers; best I remember seeing were Century pin tumbler push-ins. Otherwise, wafer locks.

I think the Chubb ones for Everest were slightly longer than any of the others (they had to fit quite a thick door).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I think the Chubb ones for Everest were slightly longer than any of the others (they had to fit quite a thick door).
    Didn't think of that, not sure which ones I have, in fact they might be different lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    Probably the price discouraged most customers; best I remember seeing were Century pin tumbler push-ins. Otherwise, wafer locks.
    Right there about the Ava prices, the little Century WRs were small diameter cylinders in comparison though. We used to get through them in box loads of 3 to pass for the civil service 'HA' wooden desks aka higher admin desks with 3 drawers.

There were also the Papaiz brass pin tumbler push-ins which I think were offered in a few cylinder diameters and sizes, all the die-cast wafer stuff like L&F used to chew itself to bits faster than you could fit it!

Thread Information