Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default chubb 3g317 prison lock

Still clearing the garage and came across this lock along with some of the shear head fixing bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170907_003.jpg  

had to reduce the pic size, hopefully will upload now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170907_001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Still clearing the garage and came across this lock along with some of the shear head fixing bolts.
    It always amazed me the amount of variations on those fixings, seeing those sure brings back memories.
    Going back the 1980s supply was so erratic I had to make batches with a modified old turret on the lathe- loads of the short csk steel ones for the cell lock flanges.
    Chubb did eventually slacken their grip and can remember buying them hassle free probably late 90s. Saved me having hands in mountains of needle-like swarf,drenched in coolant doing very repetitive work- working onsite on the actual locks was by far the more enjoyable part.

You also get some of them in brass for the shrouds and non critical fixings, and sometimes see the bigger steel ones used on rotary deposit safes and cash handling systems, more variations yet again as most of those were much longer.

You've got a great mixture of stuff Gary, plus you seem to keep it coming endlessly, when you say "still clearing the garage", I'm thinking more like "warehouse" !

only a garage and two sheds to clear/sort now, although they are full of stuff. I didn't do much prison/cell lock work, and the stuff I did was normally emergency stuff when locks failed and I was having to work on them with the lag inside booting the stuffing out of the door from the inside ,sounds like you did a lot of this stuff Huw.

Yeah I used to see a lot of them- mostly the big flanged 4L55s. Knew I had a few bags left of assorted fixings somewhere.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	18460

Thread Information