Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb Safe History Help

I acquired a small 60cm square Chubb safe about 20 years ago. The safe was being disposed of during the closure of Parkhurst Prison Officers Social Club. I became very interested when being informed the safe was used in the Governors office circa. 1890.

Is there any records to confirm the safe was purchased by the Prison Department ?

Serial number on the lock bolt is: 68083

Default Prison Safe Photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0783.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	488.8 KB 
ID:	18448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	985.5 KB 
ID:	18449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0784.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	18450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0790.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	18451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	18452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0792.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	18453 Hope the Photos help with identification and model, also the date of manufacture

That is in superb condition. A really wonderful find.

Experts will doubtless enter into the discussion with answers to your specific questions.

BTW the number struck into the top edge of the door is the weight of the safe.

I envy you that safe!

2 points I forgot:

The weight is 566 pounds- quarter of a ton.

You did the right thing by covering the details of the bit of the key when photographing it. Not everybody thinks of that!

Default Thanks Chubby

Thanks for your interest, I did not realise the numbers on the top door edge related to the weight, but I can confirm it's heavy.

I have had a look around the website, the information about serial number dates places the Safe circa. 1845 ish, but the brass name plate and address dates the Safe post 1877. I might have this completely wrong, so any help would be good.

I am hoping someone might have information, or records of where the safe was sold, and to whom.

Default Chubb Standard Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by DPN View Post
    Thanks for your interest, I did not realise the numbers on the top door edge related to the weight, but I can confirm it's heavy.

I have had a look around the website, the information about serial number dates places the Safe circa. 1845 ish, but the brass name plate and address dates the Safe post 1877. I might have this completely wrong, so any help would be good.

I am hoping someone might have information, or records of where the safe was sold, and to whom.
    You will not find details of the actual sale but I can give you a little information.
    The number relates to the perriod between 1911 and 1914 when the safe serial numbers ran from 65001 to 70000.
    The weight numbers as confirmed by Chubby stamped on the top edge of the door are cwts., quarters, and pounds.
    Your safe is probably a No.8 Standard measuring 2' 3" in height as illustrated in the attachment. Body plate thickness likely to be ¼" and door plate ½"ms plus angle frame lock case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb   1915 catalogue.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	18454

Default DPN afterthought on your Chubb.

As the key illustrated is not an original suggests that there may still be other keys about. If you intend to use the safe for the security of valuables you might consider having the lock's lever combination altered and new keys cut.

Default Safe Size

Thank you for your reply, and the catalogue image - I have just re-measured the safe, as I was sure it was bigger than the catalogue entry information you kindly supplied - Its bigger than I remember : 27 inches high, 20 inches wide and 22 1/2 inches deep including hinge protrusion, all edges are rounded. The inside has one removable self.

Any chance you could have another look in your catalogue ?

In respect to the key - the Safe came with 3 keys in total, one marked "Powder Proof Lock"

I am hoping that collecting the safe from HM Parhurst, will support its "Prison Service" province.

Default You are right

I should have have checked before my last reply to you, your measurements and identification was spot on thank you Safe Man.

However the safes hinge fittings appear to be far squarer, and old fashioned.

Thread Information