Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wm. Graham Safe

Default Wm. Graham Safe

Hi,
    I'm trying to get this floor safe open. My grand children were paying with it about 20 years ago and said look grandpa the dial came off. since then I cant figure out how to open it, does anybody have any idea how I would go about it? Will post some pictures as i figure out how.
    Thanks for the help,
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe Pix.jpg  
    Last edited by Philvet; 31-08-17 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Mis Spell

Default Safe ID?

If you can post better resolution and clear close-up pics of the dial and casters, I maybe able to identify this safe. With this information I can narrow down the lock possibilities to help you get this open.

DH

Default Better Pictures

I'm trying to upload the new pictures but I get an upload fail. working on it.

Thanks,
    Phil

Default Better pictures in PDF's

Hi,
    Tried to get pictures to upload, no luck, See if you can open PDF's
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Any ideas how to open this puppy?

Any ideas how to open this puppy?

Default Vulcan Safe and Lock Company

Any ideas how to open this puppy?

While this is not the site to discuss safe open techniques. I can tell you it's a Vulcan antique cast iron fire safe. It will have a direct entry type lock. Any safe and vault technician who can identify this safe will have the skill and knowledge to open it without damage. This is a non drill opening.

DH

Default Pictures of the inside mechanism of this safe

Does anybody have any pictures of the locking mechanism of this safe.

Thank You

I just happen to have that model Vulcan safe. I thought I had taken pictures of the lock but there was nothing in the computer file. Despite being after 10 PM and being in my sleep ware, my curiosity forced me to head down to the shop and tear it apart. Here you go.

343n05z 1

20h8owm 1

The spline key is held in place with a spring clip that snaps onto the drive wheel like a circlip. In order for your dial to come out the clip had to have come off and the spline key had to work its way out. There is the drive wheel plus 3 wheels in the wheel pack.

2wpmq7n 1

2hwjqcn 1

28rdue9 1

Was the safe operational before the dial came out? Was the lock worked on or the combination changed before that? My guess is someone put it together without the clip in place thinking the spline key would not come out. The clip snaps in place quite firmly, I doubt it would come off on its own.
    Last edited by 00247; 14-09-17 at 04:47 AM.

Great photos 00247, couldn't ask for better close ups than that.

Default Thank You so much for the great pictures.

Yes, the safe was working before the dial came out, but I don't know if somebody in the past had been into the works of it. I purchested it from a friend probably 40 years ago. My wifes jewelry is in it along with things I have forgoten abut. It has become a challenge to get it open now.

I assumed that the threaded, keyed shaft attached to the dial had a nut on the end that fell off, but I see that is not true. The dial still slides into the hole but I don't think it’s turning the lock wheels. the key must have fallen out. Since it’s been a while I have also lost the combination.

Thread Information