Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wm. Graham Safe

Philvet, if I understand your posts correctly the situation has gone from working with combination, to working but with the dial knocked off, but now its also without combination since you've lost it?

It really sounds like its time to get a decent safe tech to open it for you, I'm sure members your side of the pond can recommend someone close to you.

Default Thanks for all the help.

Yes, if somebody could recommend a tech, I'm on Grand Island NY 14072

I have someone very close by in Cheektowaga NY who you can trust. Top notch technician. PM me your name and contact information and I will pass it along.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by 00247 View Post
    I just happen to have that model Vulcan safe. I thought I had taken pictures of the lock but there was nothing in the computer file. Despite being after 10 PM and being in my sleep ware, my curiosity forced me to head down to the shop and tear it apart. Here you go.

343n05z 1

20h8owm 1

The spline key is held in place with a spring clip that snaps onto the drive wheel like a circlip. In order for your dial to come out the clip had to have come off and the spline key had to work its way out. There is the drive wheel plus 3 wheels in the wheel pack.

2wpmq7n 1

2hwjqcn 1

28rdue9 1

Was the safe operational before the dial came out? Was the lock worked on or the combination changed before that? My guess is someone put it together without the clip in place thinking the spline key would not come out. The clip snaps in place quite firmly, I doubt it would come off on its own.

I was always under the impression that this casted horizontal bolt bar was a Schwab design. I surely haven't seen it all.

Would you mind posting a picture of the full frontal outside of the safe. I would love to see the body, door, hinges, casters, and dial. Thank you.

DH

I have read that Vulcan did not manufacture their own safes but contracted with other manufacturers and then sold the product under their name. I know less than you, can anyone confirm this? Can anyone date this cute little safe?

w8nhxi 1

xfagr7 1

16c3sdt 1

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    I have someone very close by in Cheektowaga NY who you can trust. Top notch technician. PM me your name and contact information and I will pass it along.

DH
    My safe open thanks to the top-notch tech you recommended, thank you again.

Post a picture of the inside of your safe. I'd like to see if it is the same as mine. Tell us how it was opened, manipulated?

Default Inside

I for some reason could not attach JPG, only pdf's.

Holes were drilled under the dial backplate, to turn the wheels. The last that the dial was threaded into unscrewed when the key must have fell out, but I never found the key.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Philvet; 30-09-17 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Philvet View Post
    My safe open thanks to the top-notch tech you recommended, thank you again.
    Glad I could help.

I'm seeing that your issue might have stated back at the factory. It looks as if the dial spindle was cut to short. This could cause the spline key not to seat properly and eventually work its way out. See attached picture of Vulcan safe.

I wonder if the hole in the end of your spindle was used for a screw to help fasten the key?

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 copy.JPG  

Default You might be right on.

I found a small screw in the door lip, didn't think about the shaft end, Ill take it apart again and see if it fits.

Thread Information