Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default chubb mortice locks and parts

sorting through some old lock stuff and parts, and have a couple of questions;
    never heard of a chubb 3r36 before, anyone have any info or pictures of one?
    also, what where the chubb detainer range called that used the security keys and curtains, and are curtains still available to buy anywhere?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170826_003.jpg   WP_20170826_004.jpg   WP_20170826_005.jpg   WP_20170824_003.jpg   WP_20170824_004.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    what where the chubb detainer range called that used the security keys and curtains, and are curtains still available to buy anywhere?
    3G135 blanks are available at Aldridges but the bolt throwers may be less easy to find.
    They were either left or right hand cranks, although almost always only one of the hands in the UK.

3G135 AKA the "Fortress"

Cheers Tom, that is a lot easier way to do it than the way I went about it if I want to make some up.

I've got at least two Fortress knocking around somewhere, one is probably very early eighties at a guess, with dark blue box with the black lock silhouette on the cover, other one is the later light blue open ended boxes from the 90s.

Tom its interesting what you said about the hands on the key profiles, I had never noticed they were always cranked the one way.

We supplied a few over the years (considering the price of them!) although not many compared to the basic castle 110s.
    Can remember back then you could get the Fortress off the shelf with 3, 6 or 9 keys as they were classed as "restricted", so we usually ordered them with 6 as sod's law the customer would always ask you for a couple more a month or so later.

Never noticed which hand the keys were though, so when I get a chance I'll dig out the ones I have and have a look.

Well this morning was our annual half dry day of sunshine here in Wales, so it was time to empty the shed and find that long forgotten crate of old Chubb locks.

Disappointed to find only the one Fortress, but did find a 3M51 clutch bolt and a big 3J60 hiding with it. The rest are all the more recent packaging 5 lever, 7 lever domestic range and a few more 5 detainers.

Having moved everything from BMX bikes, outboard motors and wheelchairs as well as the countless crates and boxes of stuff I'll never use in a million years, I now realise why our friends across the pond are always having 'yard sales'..
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 19-09-17 at 01:43 PM. Reason: attachments removed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	18523 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1,013.7 KB 
ID:	18524

Cheers Chris, is that the Manchester Chris Taylor?

thanks for the answers and ids, I have both hands of the blanks but no curtains, and wondered if they were still available anywhere, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    thanks for the answers and ids, I have both hands of the blanks but no curtains, and wondered if they were still available anywhere, cheers.
    They are probably orderable as a special from union via aldridge -but only one hand I am guessing

Thread Information