I don't mind getting a little off topic. The lock/safe forums have been pretty slow so any chatter is good chatter. (pun intended)

The modern tooling is getting more and more versatile. While the tool holder is designed for square tooling it also has a small v in the bottom to support round stock. The boring bar which is made of carbide and has a replaceable carbide bit is extremely rigid. It also has a flat surface on the top to aid in mounting and to keep the cutting angle secure. It is a pricey chunk of metal and I probably wouldn't lay out the cash for it but it came with the lathe/mill combo when I bought it. The previous owner had spent a lot of money on tooling.

There is something to be said for good old HSS tooling. I just was gifted a large selection of HSS tooling from my uncle. When he bought his lathe many moons ago from a 40 year Westinghouse tool and die maker, he got tool boxes full of HHS (small amount of carbide) stock and specially ground bits. At 89, he is passing some on to me. I will cherish them.

I do need to improve my sharpening techniques and equipment though.

Huw, I wish you were a neighbor. I could learn a lot hanging around you. Now, if I could only solve a glitch in the CNC program...