Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default help with identification of coffer lock please - carr?

Hi
    I know nothing whatsoever about locks, so am hoping a kind person on this forum will be able to help me (a lady) with some questions I have. I will be very grateful for any information anybody is able to give.
    I have recently purchased an old coffer which dates to the1600’s. The lock is a replacement. There is a cover in front of the keyhole itself which moves to the side to allow access to the keyhole. Running vertically down this cover is a name which possibly says “John Carr”. The first letters are worn, but ..HN CARR is clearly visible. Underneath this name, running horizontally, is what appears to be another name, but this lettering is extremely tiny and is difficult to read, even with a jewellers loupe. I think this says David Wilks or White but I may be completely mistaken about that. To the left of the keyhole is another vertical oblong hole which does not seem to serve much purpose. I will attach photos. I have tried googling these names totry to find out more, and have also attempted to look in historical directories online but to no avail. With so little to go on the task is hopeless. I’m hoping somebody on here with knowledge of locks will be able to help me out.
    My questions are:

1. Does anybody know anything about John? Carr or David Wilks/White and what the significance is? I presume that one of these is the maker?
    2. If it doesn’t say David Wilks/White what might it say?
    3. What is the purpose of the vertical hole?
    4. And most importantly - Does anybody on this thread have any idea how old this lock is – when it dates from?
      Thanks in advance to anybody who can help. It is very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF9025.jpg   DSCF9006.jpg   DSCF9001.jpg  

I can't help with the brand or names but can help with what the elongated slot is for. when the new lock was installed there should have been a strap attached the lid. The end of this strap would have had a projecting loop attached that would have entered that hole. The hole in that loop would have lined up to accept a projection thrown from the lock, (the bolt), by the key. Good luck finding the other info.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    I can't help with the brand or names but can help with what the elongated slot is for. when the new lock was installed there should have been a strap attached the lid. The end of this strap would have had a projecting loop attached that would have entered that hole. The hole in that loop would have lined up to accept a projection thrown from the lock, (the bolt), by the key. Good luck finding the other info.
    BBE.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Do you have any idea when this type of lock design was first made? That might narrow don the date a bit.
    Thanks

Thread Information