Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default yale 870/large pins

i thought this 870 was going to be easy to pin ? pins are the old large diameter, .129 and springs are mixed between older .122x.420 and .115.
    also a 7 pin cylinder with #7 bottom pin stuck all the way down . i could only feel 6 pins,#7 blocked reaching the 7 th pin to pick.
    Are these pins and springs still available ? A yale V blank fits ? Only 6 pins long,
    let's see if i can upload pic's that were taken from iphone ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870-ur 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	631.0 KB 
ID:	18255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870-ur 3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	562.7 KB 
ID:	18256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870-ur 5.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	559.5 KB 
ID:	18257
    3 out of 7 i'll try to get some from other phone

trying to upload pictures

Name:	CAM01388.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	18258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM01389.jpg 
Size:	395.1 KB 
ID:	18259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	699.7 KB 
ID:	18260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM01385.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	268.9 KB 
ID:	18261

4 out of 10 and not to good.
    any ideas on what # the 7 pin blank might be or availability of the large pins and springs ?
    thank you

Default Maybe this will help.

In a JMA key catalog there are listed both 5 and 7-1/2 v-series key blanks. Could the stuck 7th pin be a fixed half pin? I have a couple of those but haven't opened them yet so thanks for the internal pics.

RG

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    i thought this 870 was going to be easy to pin ? pins are the old large diameter, .129 and springs are mixed between older .122x.420 and .115.
    also a 7 pin cylinder with #7 bottom pin stuck all the way down . i could only feel 6 pins,#7 blocked reaching the 7 th pin to pick.
    Are these pins and springs still available ? A yale V blank fits ? Only 6 pins long,
    let's see if i can upload pic's that were taken from iphone ?
    3 out of 7 i'll try to get some from other phone
    See thumbnail for Yale .51 7-pin tumbler blank nomenclature, suffix key section, GST or VYZ families, as RB117VA etc.
    See pg. 25 of PDF at the link for .128 diameter (special) pins used only on certain key sections including GK, SK etc. and certain multiple plug sections such as GAH, GBV, GV etc.
    https://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/jhawk/cyl_keys.pdf

Name:	Yale.51pinTumblerBlanks.jpg 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	18262

Pete Schifferli

Thank you Pete,i have an older ilco and on p 74 i found the v series. the h998r worked and 998r. the va,vc, and did not work and my book did not list the V blank. think i better get an updated version and a jma catalog.
    Robotgoldfish, thanks i'll get a jma catalog,they seem to be taking over all replacement blanks,everywhere.
    the #7 pin was .258 long and i had to push it out after removing plug. this is the only large pin plug i have found in quite a few 870's. Most are 6pin plugs with 5 holes pinned. i did find 1 plug only drilled 5 pin,a long time ago.
    this 870 has all large top and bottom pins,but the springs are mixed between .115 and .122 diameter springs.

Name:	CAM01399.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	18263

Thank you Pete,i have an older ilco and on p 74 i found the v series. the h998r worked and 998r. the va,vc, and did not work and my book did not list the V blank. think i better get an updated version and a jma catalog.
    Yale V, Y and Z sectionals can be found on pg. 2-76 and 2-77 of Ilco Key Blank Directory 12th Edition (c) 2010. This can be found on-line in pdf format, go to Key Directory & References at the link and scroll down to Key Blank Directory-04 N American Cylinder-Sec 2 and open the file:
    http://www.ilco.us/literature-suppor...ategory=853794
    Note that Yale V sections are the reverse of G, Y are the reverse of S and Z are the reverse of T. Thus if you have access to the rear of the keyway you will find that a GA key will fit a TA plug from the back etc.

Pete Schifferli

thank you,i'll do that and i ll get an update catalog or addendum. mine i think is 2004,been awile

thank you,i'll do that and i ll get an update catalog or addendum. mine i think is 2004,been awile
    Locksmith distributors sell the Ilco Key Blank Directory for about $20.00, there is also a CD version in pdf format for $5.00. You can't beat the dead trees book for trying to match keys IMHO, but I'd wait. I'm guessing they are about due to bring out a later edition, previous volumes being dated 1999, 2004 and 2010 respectively. JMA is a good reference to have as well, and they can sometimes be a less expensive alternative to Ilco; but they are not widely stocked and most sold in the US are hecho en Mexico.

Pete Schifferli

thank you,iwas on that site long time ago for the section 6,flat keys and forgot all about it
    thank you Pete
    nathan

Thread Information