Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default S&G 188 3 wheel combination lock

Hi -

New member here. I have an old wall safe in a house I am renovating for rental purposes. It is a Meilink Hercules with a Sargent and Greenleaf 188 3 wheel combination lock. The safe is open, but I do not know the combination. I would like to learn how to change the combination myself, as this will be a rental property and I don't want to spend $150 each time for the locksmith to change it for me when new renters move in.

I have contacted S&G technical support, as well as the three locksmiths they recommended - all to no avail. I'm hoping someone on this site might be able to shed some light on this particular lock.

I have attached photos of the dial, lock mechanism and the mechanism with a change key I purchased online. The locksmiths did tell me this lock is "hand changeable," so apparently no change key is needed or even available.

Thanks in advance -

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0345 (2).JPG   IMG_0353 (2).JPG   IMG_0360_small (2).jpg  

The lock that you have is a hand change style. This lock has a front driver with a 1/4" square spindle.
    S&G:
    8100 = 50 number dial
    8135= 100number dial with a dial ring dia of 3"
    8136=100 number dial with a dial ring dia of 2.5"
    To change the combo remove the two screws on the back cover . One of two ways to change the combo is take the wheel pack apart and change all the wheels, ( this is a pin & hub style) or remove the driver and turn it on the square shaft. This will give you 4 combo changes. Than sight through the hole in the back cover to get the new combo. Tim

Thread Information