Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Im a lock and key Collector since more than 40 years

Hello Lock and key collectors[i]I'm a collector since more than 40 years. Since 5 years we have in Europe a collectors meeting. This year it was in Rouen in France. We visite the museum of Le Secq des Tournelles. There was a special exhibition and they made a very nice book. If you are interestet write an e-mail to the museum. mpessiot@rouen.fr The cost is about 30 US$. Every year are more and more collectors from all over the world who likes to see the occation and especially the day where the collectors offers locks and keys for other collectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me-and-some-of-my-collectio.jpg   my-locks-and-keys.jpg   Schrankschloss-17.18.Jh..jpg   my-nicest-keys.jpg   more-keys-1.jpg  

more-keys-2.jpg   strong-box-16.Jh.jpg   Strongbox-Nuremberg-16.-17..jpg  
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 26-10-17 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Removed advertising/selling link to OP's shop

Default Re: Im a lock and key Collector since more than 40 years

Morgan

Good to see your collection of keys & welcome to the antique-locks site.

I am Russell Stoner, one of the owners of Withy Grove, Leeds, England. Like you, I like to collect old things. My growing collection covers safes, pre 1930, safe plaques and memorabilia. I have posted 3 pages of plates under 'safe plated & escutcheons'. I hope you take a few moments to view!

Our company has traded since 1850: named after a street in Manchester called Withy Grove. The original shop still trades there, albeit, it only opens on odd days of the week. Withy Grove was formerley known as the Richmond Safe company in 1799. Before that, the original forebares arrived into the uk in 1723 settling in Liverpool. I'm told that they used to make bespoke cushions for the shipping industry.

I'm still looking for new items to show & renovate. Perhaps we might keep in contact as I would like to collect European safe badges.

We currently have 2 web sites, http://www.withygrovesafes.net & withygrovefurniture.co.uk We, apart from selling & fitting safes, furnish offices throughout the UK.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards
    Russell Stoner

What a superb collection! 8) I especially like the strongboxes, very decorative. I like how you have displayed your collection too - very attractive. I currently do not have my collection on display - I wonder if other members will be inspired to show photos of their collections on display too? I hope so. :D

Greetings guidobrander:

Excellent collection, and thanks for posting the pictures.
    The locks and keys are a joy to see.
    I am glad that they are owned by a collector who
    cherishes them takes good care of the small treasures.

Brian.............................

Default Thanks to the responders

Thank you, both of the responders. I know it's long time ago since I add some photos from my collection. The replay was a bit pore. I thought that I will find some other collectors of the same stuff. Until now I think that I'm the only collector of antique keys and locks from Europe. I know that's not true but why I have no friends in this site? In the last 10 years I bought a lot more iron and if everyone is interested to see more photos, let me know.

Welcome to the forum! Some of the areas I collect include mechanical keys (such as folding keys), dual-purpose keys, and European keys. Your website has some nice items on it. I'd love to see more of what is in your collection.

Default Thanks for your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post
    Morgan

Good to see your collection of keys & welcome to the antique-locks site.

I am Russell Stoner, one of the owners of Withy Grove, Leeds, England. Like you, I like to collect old things. My growing collection covers safes, pre 1930, safe plaques and memorabilia. I have posted 3 pages of plates under 'safe plated & escutcheons'. I hope you take a few moments to view!

Our company has traded since 1850: named after a street in Manchester called Withy Grove. The original shop still trades there, albeit, it only opens on odd days of the week. Withy Grove was formerley known as the Richmond Safe company in 1799. Before that, the original forebares arrived into the uk in 1723 settling in Liverpool. I'm told that they used to make bespoke cushions for the shipping industry.

I'm still looking for new items to show & renovate. Perhaps we might keep in contact as I would like to collect European safe badges.

We currently have 2 web sites, http://www.withygrovesafes.net & withygrovefurniture.co.uk We, apart from selling & fitting safes, furnish offices throughout the UK.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards
    Russell Stoner

Hi Russel Stoner

maybe i'm wrong with my answer down here but I'm not familiar with that thread.
    So you are looking for safes and tresors. Soon, a friend of mine is finish with a small book about the history of safes. You can look in his website:
    http://www.weissenberger.ch He wants to sell also some safes.
    I have also a shop and in my website - antik-sammeln.ch - under Schlösser / Tresore you can find some pics what i have for sell.

Regards from Switzerland

Guido Brander

Hello and welcome back Guido, you might just be the new antique-locks record holder for a delayed response to members' posts @10 years- this welcome from Russell was back in 2007 !

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello and welcome back Guido, you might just be the new antique-locks record holder for a delayed response to members' posts @10 years- this welcome from Russell was back in 2007 !
    I've just had a look on Guido' friends website and there's a great short peice of film on the first page worth watching. I haven't a clue what was being said as I'm only fluent in English (and that's debatable!) but there's some very very nice locks, keys and chests in operation and on display. Well worth a look!

Thread Information