Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique machinist's tool chests

I restore antique machinist's tool chests, cases, and boxes. Most are made here in the USA by makers such as Gerstner, Union, Pilliod, Star, SIPCO, Wedell and Boers, Hammacher Schlemmer, and others. They commonly have locks by Eagle, Yale, Corbin, Rockford, and others. Since Gerstner is the only company still making tool chests and Eagle went out of business long ago, it's getting had to hind replacement locks and keys. I'm lucky enough to have an old-time locksmith close by who can make keys for almost anything I throw at them. Still, it would be nice to have original locks and keys.

Terry
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 16-08-17 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by user7269 View Post
    I restore antique machinist's tool chests, cases, and boxes. Most are made here in the USA by makers such as Gerstner, Union, Pilliod, Star, SIPCO, Wedell and Boers, Hammacher Schlemmer, and others. They commonly have locks by Eagle, Yale, Corbin, Rockford, and others. Since Gerstner is the only company still making tool chests and Eagle went out of business long ago, it's getting had to hind replacement locks and keys. I'm lucky enough to have an old-time locksmith close by who can make keys for almost anything I throw at them. Still, it would be nice to have original locks and keys.
    Terry
    Unfortunately most all those olde time cabinet locks are l-o-n-g obsolete. Even those manufacturers that are still in business like Corbin (now CCL), National (now CompX National) and Yale have not offered any of those designs for decades. One suggestion is to watch eBay where such goods can sometimes be found and to keep a good relationship with your old-time locksmith, they are a vanishing breed! My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information