Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default wanted: a couple of key blanks for a YALE 605 padlock.... new or used

WANTED key blanks for a YALE 605 padlock .........​anyone????????????

Donnie what blanks will fit them? It might increase your chances if you say what Silca's, ilco's, RSTs, old Dominion DLs etc will do the job as everyone can then look and see if they have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Donnie what blanks will fit them? It might increase your chances if you say what Silca's, ilco's, RSTs, old Dominion DLs etc will do the job as everyone can then look and see if they have any.
    Yale 605 padlock takes No. 9278 disc tumbler blank, very common, crosses to Ilco 0122A/Y12, Jet Y12, Silca NH1R and numerous others. I have them, PM me with your snail mail address if you want a couple.

Pete Schifferli
    Last edited by Pschiffe; 06-08-17 at 02:49 PM.

Default key blanks needed for Yale 605 & Yale Baffler

Not sure that we are on the same page here team............. my locks are push key into the bottom & the shackle pops up
    Only 1/2 of the key is rippled and the rest of it is cut to fit the levers.. I may be able to post a photo, but I'm not up to speed on the photo end. First I will need to take pictures then TRY to get them on the forum
    These locks function like the Yale Vulcan....... but the key is 1/2 rippled & 1/2 flat.. not sure that I am making any sense...Donnie...

Default Yale 605 & Baffler keys needed

sb200x200 1these are the keys that I'm searching for....not sure if the photo will come up, Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Not sure that we are on the same page here team............. my locks are push key into the bottom & the shackle pops up
    Only 1/2 of the key is rippled and the rest of it is cut to fit the levers.. I may be able to post a photo, but I'm not up to speed on the photo end. First I will need to take pictures then TRY to get them on the forum
    These locks function like the Yale Vulcan....... but the key is 1/2 rippled & 1/2 flat.. not sure that I am making any sense...Donnie...
    Yale apparently re-used the No. 605 ca.1960s for an inexpensive wafer tumbler padlock. The thumbnails show the "old" No. 605 padlock from pg. 41 and the "old" No. 605 key blank from pg. 223 respectively of Yale Catalog No. 26 (c) 1929. The third thumbnail is from pg. Pa 7 of Yale Catalog No. 32, 1960s; and shows the "new" No. 605 disc tumbler version. I did find a possible substitution for the Yale 605 blank and that is Ilco 1403 but it is apparently l-o-n-g discontinued. Sorry for the confusion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldYale605padlock.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	18241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldYale605keyBlank.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	18242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewYale602and605padlock.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	18243
    Pete Schifferli

Thanks Pete, sorry that I wasn't more descriptive in my original post. I was unaware of the later use of the #.
    But I found your information helpful, i.e. the year that the lock was offered for sale & a bit more.

Now if ONLY someone will recognize this key FROM YOUR DESCRIPTION & ILCO #........ there is a chance that MAYBE one or 2 will pop up

somewhere on an old key display.......... much appreciation offered, Donnie .....

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    You're right Donnie- have to be honest I wasn't on the same page, not even the same book ! when I looked up Yale 605 padlock I only got results for the more recent disc-tumbler version.

Seeing what blank you need its not too difficult to make them yourself if factory blanks prove impossible to find.

Easiest way is treat it as a flat steel blank, ie; cut the overall shapes from strip or plate of the right minor thickness, then cut out a slot and silver-braze an insert of the right major thickness- you could cut or rough this to the zigzag profile before brazing,or cut it afterwards depending on what suits you. If it was me I'd partially cut the zigzag into the thicker strip, get it reasonably accurate and then braze it in, but it's really down to what works best for you and the way you can cut or file the zigzag onto the inserts.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 11-08-17 at 12:35 AM.

HEW & PETE, big thank you for your research, time & suggestions. Now we have a number that others can look for.. ILCO 1403,
    that's ................................................. 1403 Ilco............................,

team... if nothing shows up I will put these on the shelf until winter & make my own.

I am able to do that if I need to, just looking for the EZ way home...................... onward, Donnie .....

Thread Information