Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default yale night latch ?

this was on a door here in the desert ? made in England ,broken key in the lock part,i removed and made key. Does not look that old,the pin holes on top have a shim between plug and housing ? could not find the door frame part. the bolt is rather large 5/8 thick 1 5/8 wide and 1 1/8 deep. Pretty hefty for a house door. Wondering what the door jamb part looked like ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale latch mde eng bolt5-8x1 5-8x1 1-8 7-26-17 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	18157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale night latch 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	18158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale night latch 3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	18159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale night latch 4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	18160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale night latch 5.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	18161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale night latch 6.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	18162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale night latch 7.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	18163

Nathan, the cylinder looks a bog standard 1109, and the shim prevents the bottom pins in the plug from locking in the housing and falling out when the key is turned 180 degrees.

From memory the deadbolt version was always the Yale 82, and the striker plates always matched the cases, at least on our British stuff.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 01-08-17 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Grammar & typos

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    this was on a door here in the desert ? made in England ,broken key in the lock part,i removed and made key. Does not look that old,the pin holes on top have a shim between plug and housing ? could not find the door frame part. the bolt is rather large 5/8 thick 1 5/8 wide and 1 1/8 deep. Pretty hefty for a house door. Wondering what the door jamb part looked like ?
    Not a Yale 82 UK. I suspect you have a Yale cylinder with a different make of rim deadbolt. I tried to upload an 82 UK image but there are apparently problems with that function on this website at the moment.

Pete Schifferli

Peter, the backplate of Nathan's lock is clearly marked YALE Made in ENGLAND.

Yale updated our British dead locking 82s every time they changed their standard night latches, so there are quite a few variations of them- I can think of four going back to the 1970s off the top of my head. I don't know which one you were thinking of when you tried to upload a photo.

Nathan, is the case die-cast? The backplate is typical of UK latches from the early 1980s, although I haven't seen one with that distinctive radiused bolt profile before.

die cast case and y1 blank 5 pin,just thought it strange for it to be up here in the desert. It works very well i'll put it with my older yale mortise lock.

Name:	CAM01248.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	18164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM01249.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	18165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM01250.jpg 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	18166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM01251.jpg 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	18167 appx 4x6 1/2x1 1/8

I've seen one of those a another variation. From memory they were made in the UK mainly for the export market (US and some in Aus too)

Ah that makes a lot of sense oldlock, from what little I can see it was also sold as a Yale No:3, and oddly marketed as a Boltlock (sic).

The variation you encountered was it by any chance this with key-op inside-no idea of a number for it though..

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	18170
    Amazing how many additional variations there are now, of what is essentially a basic blocky 82 with a multitude of different case and knob styles. Saw yet another UK Yale which I think was numbered the 5040 or similar, which actually looks pretty good.

Make that 5060, not 40. Actually looks pretty solid

Thread Information