Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Dealer & Retailer's Safe Plates

Just wondering if you gents that collect the safe brasses make a point of adding the 'non-makers' plates to your collections, or whether you tend to avoid them. I'm thinking of any of the names that were not manufactured themselves but bought in safes badged up to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Just wondering if you gents that collect the safe brasses make a point of adding the 'non-makers' plates to your collections, or whether you tend to avoid them. I'm thinking of any of the names that were not manufactured themselves but bought in safes badged up to sell.
    The problem is that even if you know of the company and that they sold safes which they put plates on, you have no idea if it is a safe plate or a cooker or a lawnmower plate unless you took it off yourself.
    generally you don't even know if they sold safes, but of course ones that say "safe dealers/agents" are good.

I was thinking of plates that relate to dealers safes by the wording on them, like bent steel safe, fire resisting safe etc- where you know it's definitely off one- like these two.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	18143 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	18144
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 24-07-17 at 09:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Huw Eastwood;27260]I was thinking of plates that relate to dealers safes by the wording on them, like bent steel safe, fire resisting safe etc- where you know it's definitely off one- like these two.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	18143 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	18144[/QUOTE
    I have these two so my answer is yes I suppose. I know what your saying though Tom and I tend to do a bit of Google-ing if there's no mention of safe manufacturer fire and thief resister etc etc. One of the most common I see on eBay is the Holborn knife sharpening machine plaque, sicker safe co use the exact same plaque on some of their safes.
    So the knife sharpener plaque is forever being touted as a safe plaque.

Any idea how many variations there were of the Cross Bros Cardiff plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Any idea how many variations there were of the Cross Bros Cardiff plates?
    I've only ever seen this one Huw but I've looked at that many my brains fuddled. I've watched eBay every day for the last seven years or so and can't remember seeing any versions other than this. Chances are there will be others but they're pretty rare if there are more versions. Hopefully Tom ("safe plaque Guru extraordinaire") won't let our side down. His collection seems to have @ least three versions (minimum) of everything I've ever seen. I forgot to say when you started this subject on collecting I also tend to look for size differences and if the plaque on offer is larger or smaller than the version I have I would also buy for that reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thread Information