Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default found another box of old locks

whilst clearing up today, there were some locks from problem solving Chubb engineers , which whilst not really collectable or original, are interesting from a safe engineers point of view, they obviously couldn't get old kroma novums at one time so grafted in a 6k75 lock into a novum body and also an escutcheon and combination dial made into locking keyhole covers to give dual control.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170718_009.jpg   WP_20170718_010.jpg  

That is a fascinating find.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Wow another great find Gary, you keep trawling them up ! Although they're modern I've always loved those Kromer Lafetton shafts for the short keys- used to see a lot of them on the Tann RDVs. An underrated and often overlooked solution to eliminate long keys or fiddly detachable bits on very thick doors.t
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 21-07-17 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Yes Huw, I rate them as well, solid and well engineered, is the protector lock still manufactured by Kromer? I don't think of this lock as being particularly modern, but suppose it has had a long lifespan, wouldn't like to have to cut a key for one!

Not sure tbh Gary, I've been out of the trade now for some time but recall supply being erratic and saw many converted over in the early 2000s. That might have been down to the difficulties of not being able to disassemble them properly for servicing and the high costs of replacement when available though, I don't know for sure.
    PS, it was your Lafetton in the photo I was referring to as modern, I'm not sure how far back the Kromer versions go but I think it was Garny that originally pioneered them.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 21-07-17 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling of Lafetton again

Gary, just had a look at the LEBTIG website for Kromer, and yes they still make a Protector- but only in the EuroNovum , so euro footprint only. Makes sense I suppose, I expect the cylindrical and oddball variations were the first to get the chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Gary, just had a look at the LEBTIG website for Kromer, and yes they still make a Protector- but only in the EuroNovum , so euro footprint only. Makes sense I suppose, I expect the cylindrical and oddball variations were the first to get the chop.
    Protector is still on the website ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

That'll teach me to look and post in a rush..

It's a shame Adrian doesn't join in anymore, my chances of translating that lot from German are zero and I'm curious to know if those are still routine production under LEBTIG. Mind you, I did miss the cylinder you posted oldlock so it's worth me going back to see if they have an English select button

Here is a line-by-line translation from a website. The PDF does not appear in Preview, hope it makes to the thread.

Translation.pdf
    Translation.pdf

Thread Information