Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Milners safe

Default Milners safe

Does anyone have any information about my safe? The plaque is a brass one (I think..) with the writing "Milners 212 patent fire-resisting strong holdfast safe" with a banner. I've been googling to find out about the production year but it seems hard to find information about it. I think the serial number is 169026 (stamped in the upper right corner)
    Also, I payed about 100€, did I overpay a lot?
    Regards -Emma
    (I tried to attach a picture but I didn't manage to get it done properly :/)

Default Milner Holdfast.

The number 169026 will be the key number and dates to 1881.

Milner didn't stamp the safe serial numbers until 1889 which gave the actual year of manufacture, but the
    lock number gives you an approximate date for the safe.

I hope that the safe is still in it's original livery and has not been repainted. If so, that's a very reasonable price.

Do you have the original keys? Even better.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    The number 169026 will be the key number and dates to 1881.

Milner didn't stamp the safe serial numbers until 1889 which gave the actual year of manufacture, but the
    lock number gives you an approximate date for the safe.

I hope that the safe is still in it's original livery and has not been repainted. If so, that's a very reasonable price.

Do you have the original keys? Even better.
    I don't think that it's been repainted and the keys are original. You believe it's worth more than 100€ then?

The price was reasonable if it is in working order.

In it's day it was a good safe. Milner made a good machine. Of course being as old as it is, it does not resist some modern types of attack, but it will stop most casual thieves.

BTW 212 is not a model number. It refers to the boiling point of water which is how the old fire resisting lining works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    I don't think that it's been repainted and the keys are original. You believe it's worth more than 100€ then?
    Kiara,yes it's worth more than that, but I assume because of it's age that the body has square corners and not radiused as in later models which would probably fetch around £300.

Not being able to see the actual safe is a huge disadvantage. I attach a photo of a safe matching your description which was been repainted for you to compare. What is the height of yours?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner H.fast 1881-2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	18113 From what I can make out of the lock number 185*** it was made a year after your lock.
    Last edited by safeman; 19-07-17 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Kiara,yes it's worth more than that, but I assume because of it's age that the body has square corners and not radiused as in later models which would probably fetch around £300.

Not being able to see the actual safe is a huge disadvantage. I attach a photo of a safe matching your description which was been repainted for you to compare. What is the height of yours?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner H.fast 1881-2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	18113 From what I can make out of the lock number 185*** it was made a year after your lock.
    mine looks pretty much the same but there are a few differences. If it's ok I could email you a picture? Not sure of the height (I'm currently away at work for a few days)

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Kiara, try and upload your photo here as it makes the thread more reliable and complete, not only for clarification for members like safeman who are helping you, but also for others that research similar Milners in the future.

https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-to-your-posts

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Kiara, try and upload your photo here as it makes the thread more reliable and complete, not only for clarification for members like safeman who are helping you, but also for others that research similar Milners in the future.

https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-to-your-posts
    I think I managed to attach it now..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3119.JPG  

That is in lovely condition.

Thread Information