Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Big Safe

Default Big Safe

Picked up a safe over the weekend from Craigslist that I plan to make into a gun safe for my son. Made in 1950 by the Herring Hall Marvin Safe Co. Has an interior safe with no combo.

Pulled the safe over onto my car trailer and winched it on rolling it on pipes. Very heavy, weighs over 3000#. Unloaded it in my garage with a chain fall and come-along. Set it upright with the chain fall. Removed the guts. The bottom safe was welded in solid. Spent half the day grinding and burning the welds. Finally got it free and winched it out. It weighs at least 1000#. Casting is 1-1/2" thick all around. Removing it dropped the weight by at least one third, maybe more. Useable inside dimensions are 50x20x34. Will make a nice size gun safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe.jpg   Safe2.jpg   1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Some serious effort gone into that, nice work.

Saddens me to see a torch taken to it .. but glad to see it is being reused and not sent to the junk heap

It has been repurposed. Will hold 10 long guns. Very satisfied how it turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Thread Information