Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Can't get in-125 yr old safe

My Father passed away recently. My Mother and I are trying to get into the safe. We have the combination but don't know the sequence. I am looking for any advice. This is a large 2 door safe with a smaller inner safe. The dial reads Pat'd Oct 2 '88 107220.1499955188780-2138396554.jpg. The combination is a set of 3 numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by louann72 View Post
    My Father passed away recently. My Mother and I are trying to get into the safe. We have the combination but don't know the sequence. I am looking for any advice. This is a large 2 door safe with a smaller inner safe. The dial reads Pat'd Oct 2 '88 107220.1499955188780-2138396554.jpg. The combination is a set of 3 numbers.
    The patent date is a date when US patents were issued, but the number 107220 was not issued on that date. That patent was issued in 1870 and for a loom shuttle. Likely that is some type of serial number.

To work the combination, first turn the dial CW to zero, then turn it CW tree times to the first number, then two times CCW to the second number, then one time CW to the last number. Then try the handle. If it doesn't open try turning CCW to zero and try the handle again. If that doesn't work, do it all over again starting first CCW alternating with CW.

It is important that each number be dialed EXACTLY to the index. If you go past the number, start all over.
    Good luck, let us know what works.
    BBE.

Thread Information