Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New member looking for chubb safe info

Hello all,
    I am researching a safe of my father in laws. I have read some posts but still need some help...to start i believe the lock number is on the middle bolt...47364...I found that the numbers on the door is the weight but dont know how to work it out...they are 4 0 25...It is still in use. My FIL used it all the time but sadly passed away in Feb.
    He actually aquired the safe from his work. I believe it was Warrington(British Rail) station where he was based in the 70s. They refurbed and he brought it home. I would like to see when it was made and for what purpose etc.. I love the look of it myself and am finding the history quite interesting. It has a cast brass 128 Queen Victoria st plaque,fish eustacheon keyhole cover and a pretty brass knob that looks like segments of an orange. It has a shelf and 3 drawers. All with keys and 2 origina(I think)l chubb stamped keys for door. Original green and silver etc logo painted on inside door. I will attach photos when I can figure out how to make the jpeg smaller or convert them. Thanks in advance.

4 is hundredweights = 4 x 112 = 448 lb.

0 refers to quarters. Those are 28 lb, but this is 0 x 28 = 0

25 is pounds so 25 lb.

448 + 25 = 473 lb total weight. Call it 215 Kg.

It will be interesting to see the pictures. Stations used to have fairly good quality safes in my experience.

BTW the number on the bolt is not the lock number. It is the serial number of the safe. Someone with appropriate archives should be able to give you an accurate date from that.

Serial number dates to 1901 / 2

Thank you everyone for your help. Im happy to have a year and weight. I hope to post the pics tonight...any idea where the safe may have been made?

Here are a couple of pics. I did start cleaning it a bit to see that the original paint is still there. I dont want to do too much tho. I quite like the old used look of it.It has lots of character.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-07-11 15.53.04.jpg   2017-07-11 15.55.23.jpg   2017-07-11 15.56.08.jpg  

Do you have keys for those drawers?

Yes. There are 2 keys to external main door and a key for each drawer. The bottom drawer locks but the top 2 do not. A few decades ago MILs bag was stolen and had keys in. For some reason they felt the need to get a locksmith in and he cut the bolt part off. Its still in top drawer...to open the drawers. Not sure of the reasoning but it leaves the top 2 needing the bolt replaced or new locks or however it needs to be repaired....so only the bottom drawer locks.

The serial numbers on the drawer locks may date the safe more accurately.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    The serial numbers on the drawer locks may date the safe more accurately.
    Thanks. I will have a look.

Thread Information