Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default York Ely-Norris cannonball safe with pie timelock

Just wanted to share some pictures of my 'new' Ely-Norris cannonball safe. I have extaracted it from a banks vault in nothern Iowa. The name of the bank is on the safe. Everything is original and complete, all the timelock keys are there. Timelock functions great. Finish is very well preserved. However, from temperature/humidity fluctuations in the vault, the finish underlayer got loose, causing the paint to crack, 'breathe' and chip off easily. To remedy this problem I've sprayed several coats of Krylon triple-thick glaze. This helped a lot -- finish now stays put, but not sure for how long. Because the safe is so nicely preserved overall, I was thinking of not refinishing it. Instead I would like to patch up the areas where the finish is gone. Any pointers here? One guy told me that a color-matched epoxy might do the trick.

Also, any kind of info about this type of safe will be highly appreciated. Like an old catalog, maybe? What might be a value of such safe in the condition shown? The safe is ~45 inches high, weights ~3,000 lbs. I saw this timelock alone going for ~$1000 on eBay not long ago...

Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VAV_2515.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	592

Name:	VAV_2516.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	593

Name:	VAV_2592.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	594

Name:	VAV_2601.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	595

Name:	VAV_2606.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	596

Name:	VAV_2607.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	597

Name:	VAV_2608.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	598

Name:	VAV_2609.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	599

Name:	VAV_2610.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	600

Name:	VAV_2612.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	601

Default Re: York Ely-Norris cannonball safe with pie timelock

More pictures...

Name:	VAV_2613.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	602

Name:	VAV_2614.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	603

Name:	VAV_2615.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	604

Name:	VAV_2616.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	605

Name:	VAV_2617.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	606

Name:	VAV_2618.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	607

Name:	VAV_2619.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	608

Name:	VAV_2623.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	609

Another fine safe !

The timelocks do make good money, although they are not as scarce as the pin dial on your other safe still a very nice lock to have.

A point just FYI should anyone ever be offered one of these that is 'locked'. The actual main security of this design is solely in the timelock. The combination lock is only a 'day lock' and can be defeated quite easily. So as long as the timelock is open / the door not rusted shut this model is not hard to open.

Thank you very much for your input, oldlock. That's good to know, about the locked cannonballs.

I am keeping my eyes open for a Corliss, but heard even the smalest ones are still big and increadibly heavy... Plus most of them are on the east coast, as they were produced in Rhode Island. Heard of only one spoted here, in Midwest.

Vlad

Just to clarify - it's only this model, with this particular timelock configuration that has this issue when opening ..

Some time ago I found this image of an advertisement for Ely-Norris safes inside York safes. It is supposedly from 1918 and shows the working relationship that Ely-Norris had with York at the time. What I also find interesting is that the ad mis-spells the name of the company, at the bottom, as "Eli-Norris".

Name:	1918 Ely-Norris and York.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	8819

The image is from http://www.officemuseum.com/filing_equipment_safes.htm and in particular http://www.officemuseum.com/1918_Yor...Co_York_PA.jpg.

I have this same safe. It's open but the dial is too stiff to turn. I need to remove the dial and face plate. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Great safe...and thank you for posting the pictures of the original striping. Here is an Ely-Norris I restored a while back. Doug did the time lock work on it.

Matt
    Nahum 1:7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1446867436540.jpg   FB_IMG_1446867427907.jpg  

These were called "fire jacketed" cannonball safes...here is a photo of Mosler's version of one I recently restored.

Matt
    Nahum 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Some time ago I found this image of an advertisement for Ely-Norris safes inside York safes. It is supposedly from 1918 and shows the working relationship that Ely-Norris had with York at the time. What I also find interesting is that the ad mis-spells the name of the company, at the bottom, as "Eli-Norris".

Name:	1918 Ely-Norris and York.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	8819

The image is from http://www.officemuseum.com/filing_equipment_safes.htm and in particular http://www.officemuseum.com/1918_Yor...Co_York_PA.jpg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6497.jpeg  

Default Ely Norris cannonball safe

I just purchased and now have an Ely Norris cannonball safe. It has Yale? triple timelocks and Yale dual combination lock on the outside of the door.

I know nothing about how to go about cleaning the safe up to repaint it. The timelock works and I have a change key to reset combinations for the outside locks that are set on "50".

Could anyone give me some pointer on restoring a cannonball? Can I take the door off to get the body sandblasted or beadblasted? Or at least take out the timelock so it does not get broken? Is that difficult?

Thanks

Thread Information