Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stepped Bramah type key?

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on this key please. I'd like to know date, use and maker if possible. Unfortunately there are no markings on it.

Thanks

DJS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG1353.jpg   IMAG1354.jpg   IMAG1355.jpg   IMAG1356.jpg  

Bramah - most likely for one of the large order of customs seal padlocks they made in the 1800's.

Thanks oldlock! I'm a collector of Bramah's but this is my first one that is stepped so I wasn't sure if was by a different maker.

Thanks

DJS

It's not really a stepped key like a whitfield. The key support pin rather than being in the lock was pinned in the key to make the keys more durable for heavy use.

Very very very early Bramah keys were like that too (see the exhibition lock) but that is not what you have.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the exhibition lock. I didn't really know what other term to use apart from stepped... What is the correct description for this type of key?

Thanks

DJS

When I stumbled across this one a while back my eyes popped out on stalks upon seeing the end-pin combined in a solid gold key.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	18063
    Turns out it's one of Sampson Mordan's gold propelling pencils hallmarked 1874, not quite what I thought but still a beautiful piece nonetheless.

That's a beautiful thing right there Huw.

I've actually seen a couple of Sampson Morgan retractable pencils with a Bramah end like that before hence why I was asking people's opinion on the origins of the key I posted.

Thanks

DJS

Default A stepped key and three mysteries?

A Whitfield stepped key (mappins patent) and three others bramah types I know nothing about if anybody could enlighten me please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1074.JPG   IMG_1073.JPG   IMG_1072.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DJStambo View Post
    Thanks, I'll take a look at the exhibition lock. I didn't really know what other term to use apart from stepped... What is the correct description for this type of key?

Thanks

DJS
    Would a more appropriate term be a 'pinned Bramah Key'?
    BBE.

Two of the three are generally known as Bramah-Chubb keys. Nothing to do with either Bramah or Chubb though. European safe or safe deposit keys. Lots of different companies made them.

Thread Information