Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old Holloway Prison key

Hi everyone,

Purchased this key off a popular selling site and have a couple of questions regarding it.

I believe the key would have been made by Gibbons, if so why does it not have the makers name on the bow?

Why would the key be given to 'Dorothy'? This question seems a bit silly but after doing research online I've not come up with any answer. At a guess I'd say it was given to her on retirement but I also found out the original front gates were demolished the same year this key was given away. Any relevance?

Any help would be much appreciated

DJS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG1336.jpg   IMAG1337.jpg   IMAG1338.jpg  

I would say it's a period duplicate or copy, hence not being made by Gibbons it's unmarked. It's not the quality of Gibbons either.

Thank you for the response oldlock. I'm not sure the photos do it justice, when you have it in your hand it feels and looks of a high quality.

I did come across a guy who was given a couple of keys by an ex nurse who worked at Holloway and one of the keys was very similar. Same shaped bit, bow, length and even weight.

Your right, probably a reproduction. Thank you for your opinion.

DJS

Not a reproduction as in a fake, a copy as you would go out and get a copy cut of your Yale key today. The blank used would be generally of lesser quality and cost than a key made at the Yale factory.

I had a genuine original Gibbons key - the turning was crisp and the detail was well defined.

OK, yeah I see what your saying now. I misinterpreted what you wrote so my apologies. After looking at a few prison Gibbons keys I see that this is slightly different.

Makes me wonder whether they just produced these keys to give to people on special occasions such as retirement or they actually were in use at some stage.

Thanks

DJS

I would say in use.

Not a great picture but here's the key I used to own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	18062

Can certainly see the quality difference oldlock. So did Gibbons make keys and locks for a lot of prisons do you know?

Thanks

DJS

Thread Information