Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Earlier designs often relied on punch proof dial spindles. In this case, the door cover and lock back cover give some resistance to a punch attack, not to mention the required force to separate the wheel post from the case. The fence lever would twist and bend as the wheel pack is forced out of the lock. Or the lever screw might shear. In the first case, accessing the lever to retract the bolt is possible, although difficult. Second case accessing the bolt directly to retract is also possible, although even more difficult. So adding the blocking plate pretty much foiled this type of attack.

Finished this project and delivered it today (snuck it in) into my uncle's house while he was down at the local watering hole. I think he will get a kick out of it.

The general consensus seems to be that it is a Diebold. On another site, there was a picture of a very similar Diebold, although there were some differences. I am surprised that there are no markings on it what so ever.

I had mentioned that this safe had been drilled on the side and the bolt punched back into the lock. This had done some damage to the lock. While it had been repaired, it was fussy and needed to be dialed carefully. The dial shaft had a slight bend in it and it took some effort to get most of it out. Once I did, it still dialed with alot of drag in both directions. Pulling the lock body discovered why. The dial was very sloppy guided by a collar stamped into the dial ring. Someone had rolled up some aluminum from a pop can and inserted it into the hole in the door. While it took up the slop it added constant drag to the dial shaft.

After eliminating it, the dial was very loose, not supported properly, and still would drag on the inner collar on the dial ring. I drilled the door hole and made a brass bushing on the lathe to support the dial shaft. Now once the dial ring is adjusted to just the right place the lock is as smooth as butter.

As I said, this stout little safe received a custom rework as a tribute to my uncle. After all, he is the one who got me started working on safes. It was a fun project after the last couple of safes which were done as original as possible. First the rough cast sides were ground and finished smooth. All the shiny parts were prepped and sent out for new nickle plating including the dial and dial ring.

I painted it with some left over green from my Victor cannonball and added some 23 karat gold leaf stripes and lettering. I then sent it out for some pinstriping, script, and highlighting. Now my uncle has his very own safe company.

I also made up a display stand for it made from a base from an old cream separator. The base footprint is a little larger than the safe so it stands quite stable.

Whadayathink?

erc1hj 1

10xxe69 1

2llhzs4 1

24l3ept 1

2jg7caq 1
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 10-07-17 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Typo correction requested by 00247

Wow what a transformation- you done a superb job on it. Hope he liked it !

Thread Information