Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Salesman's Bankers Chest?

Standing at only 8" this little bankers chest was possibly a salesman sample, but maker unknown. The only identifying mark is a "3" inside the lock. This one is going to be hard to let go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170611_201401.jpg   IMG_20170611_201346.jpg   IMG_20170611_201329.jpg  

Nice! How much does it weigh and what type of lock?

What a delightful thing to have. I really envy you that.

I had a very dear friend, many years ago. He was a tailor. He once sold me a suit which had been a rep's sample. He was keen for me to have it as he always maintained that the suits made as samples were always better made than normal production ones. I wonder if the same applies to safes.

That's neat Doug, I'm guessing thats the miniature bronze combo we saw a while back when you were making parts for it- nice to see it all fitted back together, and it's got proper patina :-)

Unfortunately it is not mine. It weighs about 18 lbs. The body is 1/4" and the door 3/4". It took me a while to realize that the normally center hung crane hinge was offset to allow room for the dial. As it is, it is awkward dialing the comb. Identifying the maker is difficult. The original dial was missing and the bolt work handle broken off. Only the dial ring was still on, so the new dial and ring size were based on that. Inside the lock, everything was missing except for 2 aluminum wheels mounted on the rear cover, which I now realize I forgot to take a picture of. Why aluminum was used confounds me and if they are originaI, I would date the chest to the early 1900's. I based the inside part sizes from these wheels. It appears that a third wheel may have been used, but given the difficulty of dialing and the fact that so many parts were missing, leads me to believe the lock had serious problems from the start. Making the roller bolt lock functional has been a real challenge. So was it supposed a S&G lock? Or possibly a Diebold?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170127_134047.jpg   IMG_20170127_134157.jpg   IMG_20170127_134218.jpg  

Thread Information