Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cary's Patent Screw Door Bank Safe

Thought this might be of interest as most Cary's I recall had conventional rectangular doors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	17933

Very interesting! It looks like the door pivot mounts slide over the hinge which would make side to side adjustment quite easy. The pinon gear mount (to drive the exposed ring gear) looks to be built into the upper pivot mount.

It also looks like there was a single bolt to be thrown by the time lock, I wonder how it was tripped when the door was screwed shut. Mosler used a spring loaded flip up lever, Victor had a mechanism that threw four bolts when a spring loaded button was pressed in by the threads.

Any one ever seen one of these or have a picture??? What year is this from? It mentions a display at the World's fair.

Its certainly an oddball, I knew you'd spot some of the unusual features on this one. TBH I'm still amazed it hadn't showed up long ago, the only other reference I'd found was this similar ad print which unfortunetely doesn't reveal anything more. Definitely enough to get the old grey matter going...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	17955
    Although the 'manufacturers under exclusive patents' does make you wonder how much of it was actually theirs!

Thread Information