Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: safe locks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default safe locks

Going through some old boxes and turned these up, I suspect the grille gate lock may be a Ratner, but no name on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170528_001.jpg  

this has both Milner and Hobbs names on it;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170528_003.jpg   WP_20170528_005.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    this has both Milner and Hobbs names on it;
    Thomas Turner pattern detector lock ? Must be from the early period where Hobbs made the locks for Milners ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Thomas Turner pattern detector lock ? Must be from the early period where Hobbs made the locks for Milners ?
    Quite a puzzle this Oldlock as this is identical in all respects to the lock supplied to Milner by Turner since the 1840's for his first fire-resisting boxes and was later referred to in adverts as Milner's 6-lever Detector Lock alongside the Hobbs Protector at an additional cost of 10/-.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner fr chest 4.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	17922 Can't imagine Hobbs having had any part in the manufacture of this fairly crude lock despite the fact their name is stamped on the plate unless they were just middleman until in full production themselves around 1852.

This Turner lock is quite memorable as it was the first lock I was given to cut new keys to as an apprentice in 1948.

Ratner safe lock with the nice brass rather than steel body, anybody know why they did some like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170528_006.jpg   WP_20170528_007.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Ratner safe lock with the nice brass rather than steel body, anybody know why they did some like this?
    Perhaps corrosion resistance? I have seen another lock which deviated from the standard steel body by being made from bronze because of this reason. Maybe for ship safes?

Managed to save these from a scrap bin, but unfortunately not complete, parts only, it always amazes me the quality stuff some people with throw away or weigh in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170528_008.jpg   WP_20170528_009.jpg   WP_20170528_010.jpg   WP_20170528_011.jpg  

I normally see them on safes and strongrooms, not seen one on a ship yet, and would have thought that if it was a corrosion thing then the whole lock would be bronze. But possibly.

Thread Information