Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corbin skeleton keys-different series?

Hi all, I'm searching for some keys for a friend; he is looking for Corbin Skeleton keys, specifically any in the Q series, which I know are already difficult to find. I came across some that are stamped with BQ and followed by numbers. This is the first time I've come across BQ, I was wondering are these there own series or part of the Q series? Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with any of this. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by 44ZipZip View Post
    Hi all, I'm searching for some keys for a friend; he is looking for Corbin Skeleton keys, specifically any in the Q series, which I know are already difficult to find. I came across some that are stamped with BQ and followed by numbers. This is the first time I've come across BQ, I was wondering are these there own series or part of the Q series? Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with any of this. Thank you so much!
    See my post of 17-10-16 from the archives:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-Skeleton-Keys

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    See my post of 17-10-16 from the archives:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-Skeleton-Keys

Pete Schifferli

I guess I'm still confused as to what the "B" means stamped on them before the "Q". The person selling them has no idea either. Bit, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by 44ZipZip View Post
    I guess I'm still confused as to what the "B" means stamped on them before the "Q". The person selling them has no idea either. Bit, maybe?
    I'm guessing BQ and Q are probably different series, but; maybe buy a couple and give them a try, perhaps BQ 4 = Q 4? The Q Series is very uncommon, but I have seen them. The P1- P12, R1 - R72, BQ1- BQ250 and BT1 - BT48 are the more common series of P & F Corbin bit keys, all of which were available as pre-cuts back in the day.

Pete Schifferli

Default Corbin pre-cuts

IIRC the BQ series locks utilized more levers than the Q series.

I still have quite a few of the Corbin original precut bit keys.

I also have the S series which is not shown.

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg  

Default Looking for q 15 key

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    IIRC the BQ series locks utilized more levers than the Q series.

I still have quite a few of the Corbin original precut bit keys.

I also have the S series which is not shown.

DH
    David,

Realize I’m posting to an old thread but I saw the Q series key in your pictures. Do you have any Q15 keys? The stamp on my lock is a little off, could also be a Q / 5.

thanks in advance!

PC

See attached for stamping on plate of Q15 key type. Became much easier fitting keys to locks once I figure that stamps were numbering lock in the house but type of key for the lock. :D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 53250F35-AEAE-4C04-A11A-B1BDB8D65E31.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by PC7060 View Post
    See attached for stamping on plate of Q15 key type. Became much easier fitting keys to locks once I figure that stamps were numbering lock in the house but type of key for the lock. :D
    No disrespect intended, but that part of the lock is properly known as the front.
    front n. the portion of a lock which provides the means of mounting the locking device to the edge of the door*

*from LIST Council Professional Locksmith Dictionary

Pete Schifferli

Default bit keys

Quote Originally Posted by PC7060 View Post
    David,

Realize I’m posting to an old thread but I saw the Q series key in your pictures. Do you have any Q15 keys? The stamp on my lock is a little off, could also be a Q / 5.

thanks in advance!

PC

I have Q1 thru Q12 and I don't know what the code range was. I do know that this seems to be the rarest code series of them all.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    No disrespect intended, but that part of the lock is properly known as the front.
    front n. the portion of a lock which provides the means of mounting the locking device to the edge of the door*

*from LIST Council Professional Locksmith Dictionary

Pete Schifferli

Thanks for the information, Pete!

Thread Information