Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale small PTPK padlock 'Made for MARMON'

I stopped at shop that sells old salvaged hardware and was surprised that they had some old padlocks. I bought a few and this one was amongst them. It is a small brass Yale PYPK padlock with an iron or steel shackle. It has a logo on the reverse that states that it was “MADE FOR MARMON”, which is an old automobile company that was in business from 1901 to 1933 in Syracuse NY. Needless to say I was quite thrilled to find this lock. On further investigation it was classed as a spare tire lock.
    I have shimmed it open and plan to disassemble it to make a new key for it as there was no key with the lock.
    The shackle is quite corroded and I was thinking of exchanging it with a nicer shackle from another small Yale that I own, (I have a number of them). It is the same shape and size and you can make out the writing stamped on both sides of the shackle. But then something tells me that I should leave it as is as that is part of the history of the lock. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marmon padlock1.jpg   marmon padlock2.jpg   MARMON logo.jpg   shackle1.jpg   shackle2.jpg  

yale lock2.jpg   yale lock3.jpg   yale lock4.jpg   yale lock5.jpg  

Forgot to add the following and can't edit my post.
    FYI: These padlocks seem to have been made with a variety of different shackle sizes and shapes as you can see from the photos that I am posting. They also have shackles made from both steel and brass.

Default Yale small PTPK padlock "Made for MARMON"

Candid
    I don't think should change shackle. Have ever try cleaning it up a bit. Should use a brush to clean it off and use the can u got for lubrication.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    I have shimmed it open and plan to disassemble it to make a new key for it as there was no key with the lock.
    Try 2146 on Y-6 blank where:
    Spaces from shoulder; 1=.150, 2=.290, 3=.430, 4=.570
    Depths; 1=.250, 2=.232, 4=.196, 6=.160
    This is from Blackhawk Codes on Line, NM853 listed for Flint & Moon Yale 4-pin; whatever that is!

Pete

Thread Information