Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Some kind of repro ?

Certainly not original (look at the bit) - is it meant to be a repro of a presentation key or just a fantasy piece ?
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 30-01-19 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Removed broken eBay link

Am I imagining an indistinct 'Chubb' engraved in the top centre on the reverse of the bow, or is that where the seller got the Chubb name from, as they don't make reference in a description and I'm struggling to see something that might not even be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Am I imagining an indistinct 'Chubb' engraved in the top centre on the reverse of the bow, or is that where the seller got the Chubb name from, as they don't make reference in a description and I'm struggling to see something that might not even be there!
    I played around with it in photoshop and it sure looks like the word 'CHUBB' where you said.
    It's blurred but shows up a bit better when converted to B&W.

I could imagine that the vault owners would like to bling it up a bit and it looks good enough to be of the time, but they didnt want to pay Chubb prices, so they got someone else to do it. That possibility somewhat fails though because none of us have seen one before and we would expect there to be hundreds of them to get "lost" if they had done all the boxes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I could imagine that the vault owners would like to bling it up a bit and it looks good enough to be of the time, but they didnt want to pay Chubb prices, so they got someone else to do it. That possibility somewhat fails though because none of us have seen one before and we would expect there to be hundreds of them to get "lost" if they had done all the boxes like that.
    I had a bid on it of £7.77 (last of the big spenders!) but it ended up making going on for £40 so someone must've been taken in by it. I didn't even think of it not being genuine and had I not seen you gentlemens opinions I may well have bid the £40 on it! So I suppose I'm sort of happy you posted this one Guys.

Three articles from The British Newspaper Archive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London Safe opening December 1931.jpg   London Safe opening.jpg   London Safe 1932.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    I had a bid on it of £7.77 (last of the big spenders!) but it ended up making going on for £40 so someone must've been taken in by it. I didn't even think of it not being genuine and had I not seen you gentlemens opinions I may well have bid the £40 on it! So I suppose I'm sort of happy you posted this one Guys.
    That's £7.77 more than me warren, I have to admit to watching it though, although definitely with oldlock on its non origininality.
    Seeing that got me looking around at other exhibition and presentation keys and it's actually surprising what's out there, lot more makers of similarish stuff than I'd have guessed- this one in silver gilt is pretty fancy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	17931

Thread Information