Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Victor Safe

Default Victor Safe

Questions About Victor Safe

First the pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	646.9 KB 
ID:	17856 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	509.3 KB 
ID:	17857 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	760.9 KB 
ID:	17858 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	709.9 KB 
ID:	17859 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	867.0 KB 
ID:	17860 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image6.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	832.4 KB 
ID:	17861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image7.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	724.6 KB 
ID:	17862 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image8.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	578.9 KB 
ID:	17863 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image9.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	641.8 KB 
ID:	17864

Q1: The finials seem odd to me on this safe as they appear to be mounted on a 1/4" threaded post. Is this an unusual design? ... does it help disclose its age?

Q2: What was used as the fireproof material? Plaster, Alum, Cement? What would you recommend I now use?

Sorry - one more thing.

Question 3 - what does the 14X carved into the plaster/concrete behind the door mean?

Just checking back in to see if anyone has any thoughts on the above?

Thank you.

David

Hello David, I'm surprised that no-one your side of the pond has responded as I can see that quite a few have seen and read your post.

Have you seen this AL thread, it might be of some help as its a similar Victor:
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...hlight=Finials

Your safe is the early pattern before they added the separate handle to throw the boltwork. Most seem to have the gold seal/medal crest on the door commemorating their gold award at the 1904 St Louis Expo.

The thread link above is definitely worth a look, all I have is an old 1950s safe mans guide from the Locksmith Ledger which does cover your early style Victor but unfortunetely doesn't answer any of your questions!

RE; the Fireproof filling, if the safe has already been filled and patched then wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you specifically want to analyse exactly what's there originally and then try to mix up stuff to match there seems little point on something that age which is probably now of questionable fire resistance anyway.

The 14X marked in the filler could be anything, more than likely the manufacturers batch number or stock/spec , but a dealer, safe tech or even a previous owner in the distant past could have done it and no-one would know for sure!
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 09-06-17 at 10:52 PM.

Also found a much smaller version pre St Louis Expo supposedly dated 1891 or 92, very close- has the same hinges, base wheels etc but it's got heavily rounded corners and banded front and back which isn't as clear from your photos.
    The design strikes me as basic 1850s but the fact they were still making them without a handle to throw the boltwork as late as 1915 throws that out the window!

Thread Information