Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've bought three parkers recently Huw, French, Indian and Chinese! Not one were of the old quality. I'm also pretty impressed with Tom's reply. I didn't have the foggiest idea a company would go to all that trouble to keep something going purely for customer satisfaction and company reputation. I'm off to polish all my Chatwood plaques. Thanks Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    What an interesting and informative reply Tom.
    Always impressive when a company continues to offer that level of back-up all those decades later (especially full refurbs even taking massive safes back to the factory), but the point that really amazed me was where you said they still made the older style stuff for situations where updates weren't needed- that's British pride in industry and engineering at its best :-)

The last company I can recall that 'honoured' their products to that degree was probably Parker pens, but from memory even their services finally succumbed to the "bin it and buy a new one" concept back in the 1990's.
    You have to remember that until quite late in their history they made a significant proportion of their safes and other items to order. Whatever you wanted, the answer was yes, if you could afford it, whether it was a one off or not and for a long time their customers were mainly jewellers, governments, railways and banks.

I once saw a plaque with a spelling mistake on it. I wish I had picked it up.

Any examples guys? I think it was a Ratner.

The sheer weight of some of their plaques made me wonder if they cast their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    I once saw a plaque with a spelling mistake on it. I wish I had picked it up.

Any examples guys? I think it was a Ratner.

The sheer weight of some of their plaques made me wonder if they cast their own.
    Any plaque Which does NOT say "Chatwood" is a mistake.😺
    chatwood had different manufacturers do their casting, The letters cast into the back indicate who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Any plaque Which does NOT say "Chatwood" is a mistake.😺
    Tom, in that case here's a nice crisp tenner for all the ones in your collection that say Chatwood's plural with an 's...

RE the casting of the makers plates and escutcheons, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of manufacturers subbed the casting work out to foundries capable of high volume work tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Tom, in that case here's a nice crisp tenner for all the ones in your collection that say Chatwood's plural with an 's...

RE the casting of the makers plates and escutcheons, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of manufacturers subbed the casting work out to foundries capable of high volume work tbh.
    Oh what a shame -I was hoping to make a killing out of selling you this scrap at £10 a go, but hey ho....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scrap.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	17932

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Oh what a shame -I was hoping to make a killing out of selling you this scrap at £10 a go, but hey ho....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scrap.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	17932
    I'm always interested in buying safe plaques if you wanted to part with any or all three on the left of your pic! If your interested at any point in selling anything I don't have just give me a PM telling me what's for sale and for how much Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    I'm always interested in buying safe plaques if you wanted to part with any or all three on the left of your pic! If your interested at any point in selling anything I don't have just give me a PM telling me what's for sale and for how much Tom!
    Hi Warren,
    i am afraid that I was joking about selling these lovely plates - I only have plates to swap not sell.
    As Huw is well aware, the majority of Chatwood plaques said "Chatwood's" but I wanted to show that not all did!
    regards
    Tom

Regrettably I thought that Tom, but God loves a trier 😇 If you ever see or hear of anything that interests you that I have let me know and we can possibly get a swap on. But thanks anyhow.

Thread Information