Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Empire and Chubb plaques

Ive just acquired these two safe plaques after several years of trying and failing to bid enough on fleabay. As I don't know anybody who collects safe plaques I feel I have to share (inflict) my joy with you guys. The Empire safe co plaque is possibly associated with the Birmingham safe co as it bears the same arm and hammer logo. The Chubb plaque is pretty large and heavy compared to some of the other Chubb plaques I have in my collection so I suppose they must have a less is more policy as opposed to Milners heavy duty plaques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1066.JPG   IMG_1065.JPG  

Birmingh 1This is the Birmingham coat of arms and you can see that The Empire Safe Company were in both Birmingham and West Bromwich but didnt put the full arms on their plaques.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empire.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	17835

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Ive just acquired these two safe plaques after several years of trying and failing to bid enough on fleabay. As I don't know anybody who collects safe plaques I feel I have to share (inflict) my joy with you guys. The Empire safe co plaque is possibly associated with the Birmingham safe co as it bears the same arm and hammer logo. The Chubb plaque is pretty large and heavy compared to some of the other Chubb plaques I have in my collection so I suppose they must have a less is more policy as opposed to Milners heavy duty plaques.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chubb.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	17837Your photo doesnt really indicate how your plaque is infact quite large, but not as big as this one off a gate or perhaps bookdoor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post

Name:	chubb.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	17837cvYour photo doesnt really indicate how your plaque is infact quite large, but not as big as this one off a gate or perhaps bookdoor
    That's definitely the biggest Chubb plaque I have ever came across. I presume it's a cast iron one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    That's definitely the biggest Chubb plaque I have ever came across. I presume it's a cast iron one ?
    yup tis

Did you Gents see the unusual small brass plate recently sold on eBay marked both Milners Holdfast and Hobb's Protectors, looked like a really unusual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Did you Gents see the unusual small brass plate recently sold on eBay marked both Milners Holdfast and Hobb's Protectors, looked like a really unusual one.
    Not only did I not see it, I can't even find it under "completed listings"

Tom heres a screenshot of the completed listing

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	17840

I was gonna have a bid Huw but it's a wee bit pricey for a part of an escutcheon. I nearly bought one complete a couple of year back, I could kick myself now! Duh ..my brain hurts

Forgot to say escutcheon plate sorry Warren I just watched it out of curiosity as I havent seen one with all that text before, it got me wondering what pattern keyway it was for- an open 'v' Milner or a Hobb's.

You've got some great new plates there

Thread Information