Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chubb lock in deed box

How do I go about getting a key made? I live in the US. Lock ser.# 1458931, 22 Oct. 1901 lock assembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	573.5 KB 
ID:	17381 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0853.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	17382

Quote Originally Posted by jiggins View Post
    How do I go about getting a key made? I live in the US. Lock ser.# 1458931, 22 Oct. 1901 lock assembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	573.5 KB 
ID:	17381 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0853.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	17382
    I think you will struggle - you need to find a locksmith skilled in working with precision lever locks. Your best bet will be a long established firm that does a lot of safe work. Or send the lock to a British locksmith.

Default Hello from US. Have deed box w/chubb lock missing key. Ser.#1458931, need key made!!

OK, so I need a British locksmith, always figured I would have to send the lock assembly across the pond. Just don't know who. Would really like a recommendation from my fellow members that live there to help me out with a contact.
    much thanks, Ken Jiggins

Quote Originally Posted by jiggins View Post
    OK, so I need a British locksmith, always figured I would have to send the lock assembly across the pond. Just don't know who. Would really like a recommendation from my fellow members that live there to help me out with a contact.
    much thanks, Ken Jiggins
    In what part of the US are you located? There are locksmiths in the US who are capable of fitting your key.
    BBE.

Default Chubb lock in deed box

thanks for that reply, I live in palm beach county, west palm beach exactly. All the same I really don't mind sending lock assembly to a British lock smith., have no idea how much something like this would cost, don't expect postage would be too much. To be honest about this I really don't trust a US lock shop compared to the trusted museum sponsored antique lock society especially from the country that made the lock in the first place.
    again thank you, jiggins.

Hold on a minute. I am a U.S. locksmith and this is a key I made a couple years ago just for the experience. I have no doubt that I could make that Chubb key or even the whole lock for that matter. Unfortunately I charge too much, so yes send it over to the UK.

This key
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170327_193729.jpg  

Doug certainly could do this key, as could many others. The comment I made was that care would need to be taken in selecting a locksmith to do the work. You could walk into a dozen locksmiths shops in the US and probably even in the UK these days and not find someone who could do that lock justice. Many would not have the faintest idea what it was or how to deal with it.

Default chubb key

Alright everyone calm down, I didn't mean to ruffle any one. Believe me Doug I'm as patriotic as anyone being a marine corp. vet. 1964-1968. Just want to get a key made for my dear old grandmother's box. Something that has been in the family for as long as i can remember. The job is yours, just let me know what the cost would be, call me 5613867741

I was not fishing for that job, only making the point of painting with too broad a brush. You could try Harwoods Miami Safe, and if they can't do it, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Or send it to the Cleveland Key Shop, 1628 St.Clair Ave. Cleveland, OH 44114 Doug

Thread Information