Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Safe Restoration

Just acquired what I believe is an Alpine Safe & Cycle Co safe Pat June 12 '88. It is in rough condition but everything works just fine. I would like to restore the safe, sand it down and paint it black and all but am wondering how to restore the lettering, pin-stripping, logos and painting on the front. Do I just take a lot of pictures of the front door and go ahead and sand that down and then find an artist to restore that part? Just starting researching this project and would like to do as much as I can on my own but am no artist so will need to have someone do that part. The safe belonged to an ancestor of mine and I have no desire to sell the piece, I just want to turn it into what it may have once been. Thank you...Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010874.JPG   P1010876.JPG  

For now, take some pictures and take them to whoever you intend to do the artwork before anything is removed. Have them tell you what they need. I generally take pictures, measurements, and even make tracings to document everything. Have a very blunt discussion with the artist as to what he can and can't do for you. Often they may interpret original differently than you might. Just like handwriting, everyone's style is different and it may show in the final product. Realize that some compromises may happen.

One other thing to discuss is whether you need to bring it to them or they will come to your location. Some of these guys are independent and it is their way only. Others will do their best to accommodate you. I myself am searching for someone new to do what I want.

On this one I did the gold leaf so it was pretty much dictated what the pinstriper needed to do. A reasonable recreation of the original.

2054nte 1

1zewmzq 1

2ur5fd2 1

I can't help you at all. So why am I writing this?

1. Welcome to the forum,
    2. What an excellent attitude you have. You want to restore a lovely and unusual piece and would prefer to keep a family heirloom rather than sell it.

I am confident that you will get a lot of good and helpful advice from the members of the forum in aa worthwhile project.

Default Safe Restoration

Don't know what state you are in but maybe try call Billboard Sign Painter. Some of them do gold leaf as I use to take class for sign painting long time ago and they do teach gold leaf......Timothy......

Default Pinstripiing

Thanks for the advice and info and nice job on the safe restoration, I hope I am able to find someone that good. So far I am having a tough time finding anyone who does this type of thing in my area, Sioux Falls, SD. Am thinking I may need to reach out to the Mpls area. Do I look for pin stripping professionals, maybe the billboard idea? The attached photo is an example of an end product design I am looking to achieve plus adding in the name at the top of the safe. Thanks for the help all...Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG3303.jpg  

Stop in at shops that do custom hot rod or motorcycle work, they will know who is around. A quick google turned up this one in Tea SD. Well worth it to have a fat wallet for someone good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smittys.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	17746

Default Safe Restoration

Creshetar
    As talking about Billboard Sign there are other name not sure like more Sign Painter. May have to look into web site to find it. Reason I put Billboard because they not only do Billboard, the also do sign on glass door like office and enter door.....Timothy......

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the tips. I think looking for the sign painters will help as well as the motorcycle pinstriping. Now I need to stop at Smitty's motorcycle shop and also found a sign painter in Worthington which is not far away so I think I have a good start. Craig

Creshetar, good luck with the restoration, why not show a few more shots of it from different angles as it is now, and then add some as you progress with the work on it.
    I'm sure everyone on here will enjoy seeing it come back to life, plus we all like looking at pictures!

Default Safe Project

I will post pre and after pics of the project but it may be awhile as I don't think I will be able to get started until June. Thanks all...Craig

Thread Information