Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: YALE 870 plug

Default YALE 870 plug

would like to buy or trade ? for 4-6 870 plugs older style that takes the screw retainer to hold plug in. Have nos 840-850 plugs old style GE key way ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870 plug.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	17739

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    would like to buy or trade ? for 4-6 870 plugs older style that takes the screw retainer to hold plug in. Have nos 840-850 plugs old style GE key way ?
    I am aware of a locksmith wholesaler who stocks plugs for the 840 padlock (#P840) in PARA (E1R) simplex and GA-GK multiplex keyways but these likely won't fit the 870. They could probably be made to order for this discontinued model, but subject to factory minimum order and lead times etc. The 870 is apparently still sold by Yale UK but my guess is the parts would not be interchangeable with the US version. See iink:
    http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/p...-Weatherproof/

Pete Schifferli

thank you,Pete. the new style is alot different inside. the old style 840-850 plug is about .200 to short. i'll keep looking,might even have to get a few junk 870 long as the plug is good and the keyway isn't restricted,thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    thank you,Pete. the new style is alot different inside. the old style 840-850 plug is about .200 to short. i'll keep looking,might even have to get a few junk 870 long as the plug is good and the keyway isn't restricted,thank you
    Nathan, if you are seeking h.d. padlocks in Yale keyway, the Abus 83 Series 2 rekeyables are superb. They offer an 83/55 S2 which is 2-1/8" wide with 7/16" shackle similar to the Yale 870. Accepts Abus proprietary cylinders in 13 keyways including Yale No. 8 as well as most any 99-type screw-cap KiK cylinder. MSRP of 83/55-100 S2 is $56.00 US including Yale cylinder. See pdf at the link for brochure on this Abus product line. Please disregard if you are only interested in historical restoration of the old Yale 870s.
    https://www.abus.com/us/content/down...20Brochure.pdf

Pete

Thank you Pete,just trying to repair a few of the old 870 i have. probably have to extend the plugs i have about .200 Just trying to avoid the machine work. Abus is a great padlock, I just like to tinker with the older yale 830-870's

Thread Information