Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pardon my ignorance. Is the Chubb "London" a model?

Default Moving safes and a bonus find

That would be the harder thing to do by rolling the safe on dirt road. That how we move safe by rolling in hard surface floor. The problem trying to turn the dang safe left or right.....Timothy.....

Wasn't pulling the safe uphill, just rolling it downhill in a nice controlled way so it didn't get away from me.
    Don't think the Chubb London is the model, just what I would call it.
    I will put the Milner back in service Huw, but it won't be a full restoration

Going downhill is easy. Just put a couple stout skis under the safe and push it with the van. Although you may not want pictures of it on the net.

Hiya Doug, the slope was a bit off camber and onto soft verges where if I had lost control of the descent I would have been in trouble, so the way I did it was the most controlled way with the kit I had.

Default List 3 Milner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Just to show the bolts that Huw is talking about, I got away with 24mm for fireproof chamber bolts and 32mm for boltwork chamber bolts. Really like this safe, what I call proper old school solid engineering. Not sure how old this is, but the hinges are still superbly tight and you would struggle to get a fag paper between the door edge and frame. Lovely how the bits just fit perfectly like a quality jigsaw puzzle.
    Gary, your Milner dates from between 1890 and 1915 at which time they changed to round boltwork (Improved Patent). The letter prefix of the serial number will confirm the actual year.

The body plate thickness in this size is ¼". Incidentally, the Wedge Guards as fitted to Milner and many other makes was the invention of a Manchester policeman after the Cornhill Robbery in 1865 but the Patent initially taken out by Milner was never pursued.

Which model of the old heavy banded Milners was it that had the drop down bolt throwing handle? It looked sort of like a stirrup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	17737

That's the boy. I saw a dual control one many years ago that had been opened with OA. The person opening it had more or less melted his way in. I shudder to think how much gas he must have used. The doors wouldn't burn properly. I suppose that would have been due to the nature of the metal.

Anyway I will shut up, now, lest I be accused of hijacking the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    That's the boy. I saw a dual control one many years ago that had been opened with OA. The person opening it had more or less melted his way in. I shudder to think how much gas he must have used. The doors wouldn't burn properly. I suppose that would have been due to the nature of the metal.

Anyway I will shut up, now, lest I be accused of hijacking the thread.
    913aeef6775cbf199ab8c525a163780b 1

Thread Information